Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Webcam without related computer

Can I use my iphone12 as a webcam WITHOUT a nearby, associated computer, but WITH a wi-if connection?

We want to do home test for COVID out of country, before returning back to states.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 9:49 AM

Yes, I thought the term “webcam” would include the camera in my phone, but I was not sure.

basically I will be just face-timing with one of their providers, and they want to see me do the swab and put it in the testing slot and verify the results.

I was just caught by the language and wanted to be sure.

I just spoke with city health uc, and they confirmed a simple live time/ face time connection is enough,

and your answer corrobates that for me. Thank you. Some things that are so obvious and widely understood because every body uses them, might not be fully apparent to an old school older person looking for exact and appropriate meaning of a term.

over and out

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2021 9:49 AM in response to LD150

Yes, I thought the term “webcam” would include the camera in my phone, but I was not sure.

basically I will be just face-timing with one of their providers, and they want to see me do the swab and put it in the testing slot and verify the results.

I was just caught by the language and wanted to be sure.

I just spoke with city health uc, and they confirmed a simple live time/ face time connection is enough,

and your answer corrobates that for me. Thank you. Some things that are so obvious and widely understood because every body uses them, might not be fully apparent to an old school older person looking for exact and appropriate meaning of a term.

over and out

Aug 30, 2021 9:02 AM in response to LD150

Thanks LD150

the company, cityhealthuc, of California, has a service where you swab and test yourself remotely for Cov, with their kit, while live time with one of their people to verify, guide and register the test results, so you can fly back home. Their tutorial says,” just connect with your computer or a mobile with webcam.”

so , I think that the iPhone camera is just going to feed into the WiFi connection I will make with their agent; , but, the use of the word -‘webcam’ - is not qualified further in their video or site info.

my searches led me to all kinds of apps designed for remote work/ conference/ tutoring, etc, where someone wants to upgrade the video image quality of their computer’s webcam, to improve their presentation.

The apps I looked at so far all required a software install into computer and I found none yet that offered a stand-alone, as in, phone-only, app which might be considered a “webcam.”

I will inquiry with “cityhealthuc” when they open today.

I still welcome other people’s input on this.

Aug 30, 2021 9:17 AM in response to Safe2travel

OK I see.

Any forward facing camera that connects to the internet is a "webcam", like your selfie camera or the built in camera on a modern laptop.

If the company don't offer an iphone app they should offer the same access as a computer with a webcam - ie a website.

Only they can answer if the iphone can connect to it.

Webcam without related computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.