Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backing up Externals

Ok, Time Machine people...help me out here--I'm not sure my external drive is covered.

Let's say the Time Machine backup is on hard drive "A." The Time Machine backup is set to include the hard drive in the MBP (Let's call that "B") and also an external hard drive (Let's call that "C") I'm nervous because, when I check the backup for the contents to hard drive "C", it only shows up in "Enter Time Machine" when I have it plugged in. I'm worried that, if "C" fails (or gets lost, etc.), I won't be able to see it's contents in "Enter Time Machine" (if you browse the contents of "A", you can still see the files, but that's not the benefit of the Time Machine GUI.) Thoughts? Am I safe?

PS....this referring to hard drives with letters things seems like a good idea--maybe it'll take off...

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 11:42 AM

Try the following:

Disconnect drive C from your Mac to simulate a situation where the drive is not available or has failed

Open Time Machine and go back a few days to a point where the drive was connected

On the main Finder window, look for the name of your Mac under the Locations heading on the left panel.

Click on the name of the Mac and another window will open on the right to display Macintosh HD and the name of the external drive

Right-Click on the name of the external drive and you will see an option to "restore to" the hard drive to another destination that you choose

Select the destination......another drive or the Mac's desktop, etc...... and then click Restore

If you don't want to Restore the entire drive, you can open the drive and then select the files that you want to Restore by right-clicking on them.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2021 11:42 AM in response to Allalongthetower

Try the following:

Disconnect drive C from your Mac to simulate a situation where the drive is not available or has failed

Open Time Machine and go back a few days to a point where the drive was connected

On the main Finder window, look for the name of your Mac under the Locations heading on the left panel.

Click on the name of the Mac and another window will open on the right to display Macintosh HD and the name of the external drive

Right-Click on the name of the external drive and you will see an option to "restore to" the hard drive to another destination that you choose

Select the destination......another drive or the Mac's desktop, etc...... and then click Restore

If you don't want to Restore the entire drive, you can open the drive and then select the files that you want to Restore by right-clicking on them.

Aug 30, 2021 12:33 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I think this did it! Now, another issue is that a few months ago my desktop and documents (I think those were the two) started syncing with iCloud (I think--I know I should know, but I hit the wrong button at work (elementary school) and it started firing files over the network lol. I've noticed that those options are grey in time machine, too. Probably same deal, right?

Thanks SO much for your help. This is a relief.

Jonathan

Aug 30, 2021 12:52 PM in response to Allalongthetower

Now, another issue is that a few months ago my desktop and documents (I think those were the two) started syncing with iCloud (I think--I know I should know, but I hit the wrong button at work (elementary school) and it started firing files over the network lol. I've noticed that those options are grey in time machine, too. Probably same deal, right?

Sorry, not sure what you are asking. Time Machine has nothing to do with iCloud and vice versa.

Time Machine Backing up Externals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.