Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad Requires "Remote Management" by "United Airlines, Inc."

I sold an iPad on Craigslist; an iPad Air 2 that was running iPadOS 14 point whatever.

Before selling it, I performed a reset : SETTINGS → RESET → ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS

When the new owner attempted to set it up, he went through the usual steps

• Hello

• Language → English

• Select Your Country or Region → United States

• Choose A Wi-FI Network → his home network

At this point, he gets a screen that says "Remote Management"

"United Airlines, Inc." will automatically configure your iPad.

What does Remote Management do?

Remote management enables the administrator of "United Airlines, Inc." to set up email and network accounts, install and configure apps, and manage this iPad's settings.

The next screen prompts for username and password.

There is no way around this.

What is causing this? Especially on a device that was reset.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 7:26 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 31, 2021 5:11 AM in response to Axel Foley

Did you purchase this iPad secondhand? OR Do you work for United Airlines?

1. I purchased this iPad second hand in 2018 - 3 years ago. At the time, I performed the reset, and never had any issue with it.
  2. No, I do not work for United Airlines. Nor have I ever worked for United Airlines. Nor had I ever had the iPad on any United Airlines network.
  3. I sold this at 5:00 pm on Sunday evening, and the new owner called me with the problem at 4:00 pm the next day. So if it was enrolled in United Airlines' Remote Management profile, it would have been sometime in those 11 hours by the new owner. He denies it, and I have no way to know exactly what he did.

Sep 1, 2021 12:32 PM in response to Robert Racansky

Discuss this with and potentially return it to United, or recycle it.

I’d wonder whether the device was lost or stolen, and whether something that might have been suppressing Activation Lock was undone.

Used Apple device purchases can be surprisingly expensive, and the various scams are common fodder for discussion around here.

Here is what Apple suggests when purchasing used:

Check for Activation Lock before you buy a device from someone else

Before you buy an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, from someone other than Apple or an authorized Apple reseller, make sure that the device is erased and no longer linked to the previous owner’s account. Follow these steps to check if the device is ready to use: 

1. Turn on and unlock the device. 
  2. If the passcode lock screen or the Home screen appears, the device hasn't been erased. Ask the seller to completely erase the device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it's been erased.
  3. Begin the device setup process.
  4. If you're asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner isn't present, contact them as soon as possible and ask them to use a browser to remove the device from their account. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account.

You will know that a device is ready for you to use when you're asked to "Set up your iPhone," “Set up your iPad," or “Set up your iPod” the first time you turn it on.

Aug 30, 2021 9:20 PM in response to Robert Racansky

The new owner has run into the Activation Lock. The iPad's original owner was United Airlines and is part of United Airline's Remote Management profile. Did you purchase this iPad secondhand? OR Do you work for United Airlines? I ask because the only way that iPad Air 2 is going to work is by entering the correct credentials set by United Airlines. Otherwise, it will remain a useless paperweight.

Axel F.

Aug 31, 2021 6:01 AM in response to Robert Racansky

A thought just occurred to me.

This iPad has cellular capability, which I never used, nor even turned on. I used Wi-Fi only.

Would it be possible that the MEID and/or IMEI was enrolled with United Airlines? And the new user activated the cellular connection, which would have triggered the Remote Management requirement?

I have contacted United Airlines about this, and will post an update when I have one.

Sep 1, 2021 12:20 PM in response to Axel Foley

Did you purchase the iPad from a reputable secondhand retailer?

It was a storefront retail shop that sold second-hand electronic equipment - not an individual.

I don't remember the name of the shop. Nor could I tell you if they were considered "reputable".

I am still waiting to hear back from United.

I want to let you know that we have received your feedback. You are very important to United and we do care about your experience. With the growing travel demand and Summer volumes, our response times are longer than usual. Currently, we are getting back to customers between 25-30 days. While I know that’s longer than you’d hoped, I assure you that we’re focused on reading about your experience, helping resolve your issue and learning how we can improve the overall travel experience.

Also, I just checked, and there is no physical SIM card in the iPad.

New iPad Requires "Remote Management" by "United Airlines, Inc."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.