Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 2 doesn't work with iPad Pro 11 inch

My Apple Pencil 2 doesn't work with my iPad Pro 11 inch. I have even reached out to the Apple service centre nearby to find that my Pencil is working fine. The iPad has been diagnosed but it had no issues. I have tried the iTunes reset method also. It showed no results. By the way the pencil is brand new. What can I do now?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 10:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 10:28 PM

saketh32 Said:

"Apple Pencil 2 doesn't work with iPad Pro 11 inch: My Apple Pencil 2 doesn't work with my iPad Pro 11 inch. I have even reached out to the Apple service centre nearby to find that my Pencil is working fine. The iPad has been diagnosed but it had no issues. I have tried the iTunes reset method also. It showed no results. By the way the pencil is brand new. What can I do now?"

-------

Troubleshooting Apple Pencils:

Use these Links:

Verify the compatibility of your iPad and Apple Pencil

View: If your Apple Pencil won't pair with your iPad

Make sure that Bluetooth is enabled

Be certain there is power to your Apple Pencil

Successfully pair and charge your 2nd Generation Apple Pencil

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2021 10:28 PM in response to saketh32

saketh32 Said:

"Apple Pencil 2 doesn't work with iPad Pro 11 inch: My Apple Pencil 2 doesn't work with my iPad Pro 11 inch. I have even reached out to the Apple service centre nearby to find that my Pencil is working fine. The iPad has been diagnosed but it had no issues. I have tried the iTunes reset method also. It showed no results. By the way the pencil is brand new. What can I do now?"

-------

Troubleshooting Apple Pencils:

Use these Links:

Verify the compatibility of your iPad and Apple Pencil

View: If your Apple Pencil won't pair with your iPad

Make sure that Bluetooth is enabled

Be certain there is power to your Apple Pencil

Successfully pair and charge your 2nd Generation Apple Pencil

Aug 31, 2021 1:23 AM in response to saketh32

First, if you have not already updated your iPad to the most recent version of iPadOS, you should do so. iPadOS 14.7.1 is current.

This support page may be helpful with pairing and use of the Pencil with your iPad:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

Assuming that you do not have any other iPad charging issues, whilst the Pencil is docked with the host iPad, verify that the Pencil is recognised:

Settings > General > About

Scroll to the bottom of the page - and you should find an entry for the Pencil. If present, the Pencil electronics are good. Whilst you are here, tap the entry and check the firmware version of your Pencil:

Check the Model Number and Firmware Version; 0154.0093.0444.0060 is current for the A2051 Pencil. More of this later.

Whilst docked with the iPad, verify the Pencil charging status from the Battery Widget - this being accessed from your first Home Screen or from iPad Settings. Your Pencil should show that it is charging - with an increasing battery charge percentage. If not, then perhaps you have a bad Pencil.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”.

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless.

If your Pencil does not have the current firmware version loaded - and is able to successfully pair and charge from the iPad - leave the Pencil docked with the iPad. Ensure that your iPad is connected to WiFi and your Power Adapter - and leave the iPad to charge undisturbed overnight. Your Pencil firmware should update whilst the iPad and Pencil are undisturbed overnight.

Aug 30, 2021 10:43 PM in response to saketh32

saketh32 Said:

"Apple Pencil 2 doesn't work with iPad Pro 11 inch: Firstly, I thank you for trying to help me out. I have tried all of these methods, but none of them seem to work out."

-------

You are welcome.

Other Thoughts:

So, Apple is not willing to swap this out? That would be their call. Is there a cover over the screen? If so, that could most certainly get in the way here. Also, I'd let it cool overnight, and keep it out of the sun. Perhaps it needs time to cool down.

Aug 30, 2021 11:16 PM in response to saketh32

saketh32 Said:

"Apple Pencil 2 doesn't work with iPad Pro 11 inch: The issue is with the iPad and it is out of warranty. So they won't be replacing the iPad. I've talked to the support team and they asked me to get the iPad physically inspected again at the service centre nearby. Just hoping that everything goes fine."

-------

To Clarify: I'm referring to the Apple Pencil being swapped out.

If you Get this iPad Serviced:

So, keep us up to date, replying back letting us know how the service all ends up working out.

Apple Pencil 2 doesn't work with iPad Pro 11 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.