Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 12.9 charges super slow

I have a iPad Pro 12.9 2021 edition, when I charge with the USB-C charger it charges pretty fast but when I plug it into a standard USB-A port charger it charges super slow and can only maintain the current percent when I an using it while it charges.

The charger is a 4 port 60w up to 2.4 amps per port, is that sufficient to charge it at a decent rate? Is there that much of a difference between the USB-C connection to the charger vs USB-A that would cause it to charge that much slower or is there something else I should be looking at?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 10:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 2:11 AM

The stock 20W USB-C Power Adapter, as supplied with your iPad Pro, supports USB PD Fast Charging. Using a suitably rated USB PD compliant Power Adapter, your iPad Pro will charge at its maximum supported 18W charging profile/rate (i.e., 2.0A @9V / 1.5A @12V).

When using a standard USB Power Adapter, the maximum charging rate is reduced to 12W (2.4A @5V) - regardless of the power rating of the Power Adapter. Your iPad Pro, when running with high CPU load or high screen brightness, may not be able to maintain (or charge) the battery when using a “standard” 5V USB Power Adapter.

Optimal charging of your iPad will occur when using a USB PD compliant Power Adapter. If using other USB accessories with a USB-C hub, using a high power USB PD Power Adapter will provide adequate power for both the iPad and connected accessories.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2021 2:11 AM in response to esiebert7625

The stock 20W USB-C Power Adapter, as supplied with your iPad Pro, supports USB PD Fast Charging. Using a suitably rated USB PD compliant Power Adapter, your iPad Pro will charge at its maximum supported 18W charging profile/rate (i.e., 2.0A @9V / 1.5A @12V).

When using a standard USB Power Adapter, the maximum charging rate is reduced to 12W (2.4A @5V) - regardless of the power rating of the Power Adapter. Your iPad Pro, when running with high CPU load or high screen brightness, may not be able to maintain (or charge) the battery when using a “standard” 5V USB Power Adapter.

Optimal charging of your iPad will occur when using a USB PD compliant Power Adapter. If using other USB accessories with a USB-C hub, using a high power USB PD Power Adapter will provide adequate power for both the iPad and connected accessories.

iPad Pro 12.9 charges super slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.