Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sync iPhone 12 with Mid-2012 Mac Pro?

My workstation (mid-2012 MacPro) is at the latest version of MacOS it will support (High Sierra, 10.13.6). I recently upgraded to an iPhone 12.

How do I sync my iTunes library with my phone? iTunes is telling me I need to install an update to continue, however there are no compatible packages in Software Update.

Please don't tell me I need a new computer. Not only do I require the four 12 TB drives (which are set up in a pair of mirrored RAID sets), but more importantly, the PCIe cards I have installed to interface with various hardware integral to my workflow. I've got 128 GB of RAM, so even the latest version of Adobe Creative Cloud works just fine, and runs well on my old Mac.

Is there a solution here, or do I have to switch managing my music library over to the Windows gaming rig I recently built? That is not the idea solution, as I would much prefer to keep it all in the Apple family.

Thanks for any guidance here.

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 6:45 AM

When iTunes tells you you need to install an update it will itself install it when you click on the Install button. It's a minor iTunes update that will not appear in Software update.

3 replies

Aug 31, 2021 11:02 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil, you're an absolute legend. I just assumed it was a required OS update after not finding anything iTunes-related in the software update tab of the App store (I like to read the patch notes for anything I install).

Thank you. Managed to get iTunes to prompt me with that update install dialog again (which it didn't want to do for the phone, but I had a relatively new iPad lying around that's never been connected to a computer, so connecting that brought it back up!)

I am good to go, and my 6,000+ songs are now happily syncing away.

Again, thank you very much for the knock to the brain, there!

How to sync iPhone 12 with Mid-2012 Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.