Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV not longer has volume controls

last night my Apple TV did an automatic update to tvOS 14.7 . Since this I have not been able to use my volume controls .

I have tried resetting my Apple TV , resetting my actual tv . Turning my HDMI CEC settings on and off . Changing the settings from auto to tv . Learning new device . I have even changed hdmi cords and ports . I can’t even use my phone to turn the volume up anymore .

I have unplugged both devices overnight as well and nothing has changed .

the strange part is I can still turn my tv off using my apple remote meaning the CEC feature is still working , just not for volume control .

this feature was working before the automatic update and I have no idea what to do next .

I am now also having issues controlling media on my Apple TV from my control center on my phone .

my tv is a falcon 40f1

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 10:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 4:14 AM

I walked away from my tv for 5 minutes and came back and had the what’s new update screen so I have no idea why I updated so late , that part I’m confused about as well ,

but as I mentioned , right before this I was able to use the volume controls on my remote perfectly fine . And in my remote on my iPhone I was able to use my bottoms on my phone to control the volume Aswell

I will mention that when I press theses buttons the Apple TV flash’s the light in response and the volume controls work when connected to another Audio source like my AirPods but when the audio output is my tv the volume controls do not work .

my CEC settings are on.

I do remember when I first connected the 2 it didn’t work and I did something to make the volume controls work but I can’t remember

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2021 4:14 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I walked away from my tv for 5 minutes and came back and had the what’s new update screen so I have no idea why I updated so late , that part I’m confused about as well ,

but as I mentioned , right before this I was able to use the volume controls on my remote perfectly fine . And in my remote on my iPhone I was able to use my bottoms on my phone to control the volume Aswell

I will mention that when I press theses buttons the Apple TV flash’s the light in response and the volume controls work when connected to another Audio source like my AirPods but when the audio output is my tv the volume controls do not work .

my CEC settings are on.

I do remember when I first connected the 2 it didn’t work and I did something to make the volume controls work but I can’t remember

Sep 1, 2021 6:26 AM in response to emelia22

last night my Apple TV did an automatic update to tvOS 14.7 .

That is unusual. tvOS 14.7 has been out for 44 days, and the automatic updates have some spread, but generally not 6 weeks (unless the unit was turned off for all of the past 5.5 weeks).

Since this I have not been able to use my volume controls .

Volume control to the TV speakers is not done over HDMI-CEC, but via IR from the remote to the TV directly. As such, it needs line of sight between the remote and the TV IR receptor (unlike the bluetooth for the navigation controls).

TVs without IR receptor wouldn’t be compatible for this feature (e.g. some TVs with bluetooth remotes).

The default IR commands would work for many TVs (and other audio equipment). Only if that other equipment uses non-standard IR commands for volume control, then would you need to use Learn New Device.

I can’t even use my phone to turn the volume up anymore .

It probably never did for wired speakers. Volume control through the software remote on your phone would require an audio receiver that supports Volume Control over CEC. I don’t think any TV will support that. Similar for the Siri Remote: with a compatible receiver in the setup, volume control through CEC is an option.

If you can't control your TV or receiver with your Apple TV Remote - Apple Support

Apple TV not longer has volume controls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.