You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure an iPad for elderly parents

I have two iPad Air devices that I would like to pass on to my elderly parents. They don't have a credit card and so they cannot set up an apple account.

I am fine using my credit card to buy the necessary or desired apps, but I would like to have complete control over this.

What would be the best way to set this up? I thought about parental control, but Apple seems to limit this to people under a certain age, not 90 years old people.

Thanks for your assistance on this.

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 5:45 AM

5 replies

Sep 1, 2021 7:12 AM in response to Luca Uggeri

Family Sharing is not limited to minors. You’re not setting-up AppleIDs for adults - and not minors. AppleIDs can (and should) be created for each user (adult or otherwise) - and these users (up to six) can be added to the family group.

You may find these resources to be helpful with creating AppleIDs - without linking a credit card:

https://www.macworld.com/article/334285/how-to-set-up-an-apple-id-without-using-a-payment-method.html

https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-create-an-apple-id-without-credit-card/

Sep 1, 2021 6:00 AM in response to Luca Uggeri

You have a very simple solution available to you - which allows you to share Apps, Services, Purchases and Subscriptions using the Family Sharing features:

Family Sharing - Apple

What is Family Sharing? – Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

How to configure an iPad for elderly parents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.