Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Search

A Finder Search for a phrase yields a file that once contained that phrase, yet when I click on the file the phrase is not there. I know it was, maybe I deleted it, but why would it show up in a finder search?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2021 11:23 AM

A lot of Mac searching is speeded up by using a pre-computed index created by Spotlight indexing. You may have seen a task named mdworker doing the heavy lifting, reading through files and building the index.

Spotlight system is really good and building the index, but at updating it when things change ... not so much. If you wish, you can ask your Mac to spend a few hours of background time re-computing a more accurate index:

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2021 11:23 AM in response to hallkirkham

A lot of Mac searching is speeded up by using a pre-computed index created by Spotlight indexing. You may have seen a task named mdworker doing the heavy lifting, reading through files and building the index.

Spotlight system is really good and building the index, but at updating it when things change ... not so much. If you wish, you can ask your Mac to spend a few hours of background time re-computing a more accurate index:

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Finder Search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.