Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rename command unavailable

Hi,

I need to rename lots of files (10 000+) that has gotten the same wrong addition in the filename. I know that the "rename" command will solve this easily, but the problem is when I do a search of all files containing the issue the "rename" is greyed out and unavailable.

If I go to a folder an choose 2 of the files, it's no problem and I can rename them.

All files are unlocked and I have even tried to do it as root-user.

The files are on a OneDrive-catalogue.

Any ideas, what's the issue?

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 7:20 AM

Rename files, folders, and disks on Mac Do not know if this can be done for files stored on MS One Drive.

3 replies

Sep 6, 2021 2:14 AM in response to nrydblom

Hi again,

I still don't understand why this happened, but it had nothing to do with OneDrive or file permisisons. I could rename all the files in the normal Finder window, but not from search result window. All files are now renamed, but it was a bit more cumbersome then if I could have done it from the search-result window....

rename command unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.