Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple maps starts with a specific wrong location - through upgrades, location services on/off/on

I'm concerned why Apple maps very often shows my location as one specific location - not where I am.

When getting directions it thinks I'm starting out from that one specific place.

I have lost a device at that specific location before, but I enabled erase for that device.

Why would maps always start from that specific incorrect location. This has been going on through device upgrades. Turning location settings on/off/on. Might there be something nefarious going on?

iPhone 11.

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 12:27 PM

I'd try deleting significant locations first:

1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services, then tap Significant Locations.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Delete a single location: Tap the location, tap Edit, then tap .
    • Delete all locations: Tap Clear History. This action clears all your significant locations on any devices that are signed in with the same Apple ID.

Second, I'd double check your contact card in contacts to make sure your address is correct.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2021 12:27 PM in response to Slackerjack

I'd try deleting significant locations first:

1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services, then tap Significant Locations.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Delete a single location: Tap the location, tap Edit, then tap .
    • Delete all locations: Tap Clear History. This action clears all your significant locations on any devices that are signed in with the same Apple ID.

Second, I'd double check your contact card in contacts to make sure your address is correct.

Sep 15, 2021 2:11 PM in response to Slackerjack

I tried the procedures above, but did not change my problem. I have an iPad and an iPhone.

When I tried to use the Maps app today on my iPad, showed my location as 9 miles southeast of where I actually am. My iPhone shows my correct location. I have both devices in my possession and I do not recall ever being in the location indicated.

My card in Contacts app is correct.

Any suggestions?

Sep 15, 2021 2:19 PM in response to muguy

I tried the procedures above, but did not change my problem. I have an iPad and an iPhone.

When I tried to use the Maps app today on my iPad, showed my location as 9 miles southeast of where I actually am. My iPhone shows my correct location. I have both devices in my possession and I do not recall ever being in the location indicated.

My card in Contacts app is correct.

Any suggestions?

Apple maps starts with a specific wrong location - through upgrades, location services on/off/on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.