Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Look for Longer USB cord from musical keyboard to MacBook Pro

I have a working 6 ft USB cable that I am trying to replace with a 10. The 2 10ft USB A?/ that I have purchased from Best Buy do not work at all. I would appreciate it if someone could suggest one that actually works. I guessing an apple cable would. Tell me which one. I would greatly appreciate it.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 8:33 AM

7 replies

Sep 12, 2021 4:45 AM in response to ku4hx

Thank you so much for your timely response. I followed your advice and visited the apple.com site. Unfortunately, I can not find the cord listed as a product that is available to buy. I know that in the Covid world that we live in, the supply chain does get interupted.

Please advise as to what my best course of action is now

Sep 12, 2021 6:44 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Does this one meet your needs:

Monoprice Essentials USB Type-C to USB Type-A 2.0 Cable - 480Mbps, 3A, 26AWG, Black, 4m (13.1ft) - Product # 24286 - $8.99

Note this is properly called a USB type-C cable, NOT a ThunderBolt cable.

Like most cables you plug into your computer, it does not carry the full set of ThunderBolt capabilities out to the far end of the cable, but only USB-2, so it is not a ThunderBolt cable.

Sep 16, 2021 4:20 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

HI Grant-Adler.

Concerning your suggestion

both the ends of the cable I think would work on my computer but I need the B plug for my piano keyboard.

I found this at Sweetwater - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBAB15--hosa-usb-215ab-15-foot, unlike the BestBuy Cable I purchased. I think it ought to work since it is from a music site and apparently designed for piano keyboards. What do you think? Again thank you for your help.

Below are the specs for the computer and thunderbolt ports--

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,4

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

--------

Thunderbolt/USB4:

Thunderbolt Bus:

Vendor Name: Apple Inc.

Device Name: MacBook Pro

UID: 0x0001001701E8ED10

Route String: 0

Firmware Version: 27.1

Domain UUID: E5A6AE59-6BC4-CF54-86F1-C7EDA38F265C

Port:

Link Status: 0x101

Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x1

Receptacle: 1

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.15.0

Sep 16, 2021 7:54 AM in response to Jmars3

That changes everything. The cable I suggested has a USB-C connector, and will not fit your Mac.

Your mid-2015 15-in MacBook Pro with Integrated graphics has NO USB-C ports at all. Its ThunderBolt ports are the smaller form factor Thunderbolt-2. But -- it has two USB-A ports!

So your sweetwater cable looks like a great solution, and those guys seem focused on customer support for users in the Music business. That sounds like a win in every direction!

Look for Longer USB cord from musical keyboard to MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.