Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not following proper sorting hierarchy (Sort Album Artist is NOT taking precedence).

Hello,

From what I have understood from this post (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7461569?answerId=29785871022#29785871022), iTunes is supposed to sort by "the first non-empty value from Sort Album Artist, Album Artist, Sort Artist, and Artist."

I assume that I can ask iTunes to sort by any of these fields by clicking the in the column browser (i.e., sorting by Album Artist or Sort Album Artist, by clicking either of those headings in the column browser, but I am not sure based on my experience.

IFor Example I have a track that has the value M.I.K.E. in the Album Artist & Artist fields. I did an experiment, where I placed "test" in both the Sort Album Artist & the Sort Artist fields. However, when I ask iTunes to sort by Sort Album Artist, or Sort Artist, the track keeps sorting by M.I.K.E, i.e., it sorts with the Ms and not the Ts.

I would really appreciate it is someone can clarify what is occurring. Thanks in advance!

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 10:49 AM

esumsea wrote:

I don't understand. I thought apple support reps monitored this forum.

Only to maintain good behaviour. Apple do state that the forum is a user-to-user forum, although occasionally an Apple employee may contribute to a discussion. However, experience suggests that they are not always best placed to provide an - or the - answer. Sometimes, no one knows how to help.

To address the issue that brought you here:

Perhaps no one really understood what you were having issues with. I spotted your post on the 11th September (having not spotted your original post of the 5th September), but didn't believe I had anything to contribute to the discussion.

Let's confirm what you're looking at, how you're looking for it and what you expect to see. Here's a screenshot of part of my library, in the Songs view:

• I've set my Songs view to sort by Album by Artist, hence the bold title column; Album by Artist
  • the arrow on the right hand end of the column (Album by Artist) indicates the direction that is being used to sort the column (i.e. arrow up is A-Z while arrow down is Z-A)
  • to toggle this field between the options, one has to click on the Album column header first (Album is the default) and then click in the gap between the header text (Album) and the arrow on the right in order to switch between:
    • Album
    • Album by Artist
    • Album by Artist/Year
    • Album
  • Sorting by Album by Artist can be non-intuitive (yes, that is the phrase I intended). Although the Album by Artist column is in bold text (which usually indicates the column that is being used to sort), in this case, it isn't. The sort is nominally the Artist column, to the left in my screenshot). But don't forget, it's actually the Album Artist field that is being used, not the Artist field. The sort will use the Artist field if the Album Artist field is blank
  • In the screenshot below, I've added in the Album Artist column (2, ringed in orange). As you can see, the album Yves Klein Blue does not have any text in the Album Artist field, so the Artist field (1) (Acrilic Colors) is used instead. However...

• if you try to sort by the Album Artist column (2), all albums with an empty Album Artist field will be placed after all other entries and it looks as though it's by album title, not artist. This means that the album Yves Klein Blue by Acrilic Colors will now be placed after Z, the Russian alphabet and numbers:

• As you can see in the above screenshot, although we're sorting by the Album Artist column, the actual sort field is the two ringed areas, so part of the left column and part of the right column. I didn't know this until just now, when I tried it in order to answer your post

I don't know whether this helps or not, you will have to let us know. But maybe it provides an insight that might help you decide how to sort in the future.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 10:49 AM in response to esumsea

esumsea wrote:

I don't understand. I thought apple support reps monitored this forum.

Only to maintain good behaviour. Apple do state that the forum is a user-to-user forum, although occasionally an Apple employee may contribute to a discussion. However, experience suggests that they are not always best placed to provide an - or the - answer. Sometimes, no one knows how to help.

To address the issue that brought you here:

Perhaps no one really understood what you were having issues with. I spotted your post on the 11th September (having not spotted your original post of the 5th September), but didn't believe I had anything to contribute to the discussion.

Let's confirm what you're looking at, how you're looking for it and what you expect to see. Here's a screenshot of part of my library, in the Songs view:

• I've set my Songs view to sort by Album by Artist, hence the bold title column; Album by Artist
  • the arrow on the right hand end of the column (Album by Artist) indicates the direction that is being used to sort the column (i.e. arrow up is A-Z while arrow down is Z-A)
  • to toggle this field between the options, one has to click on the Album column header first (Album is the default) and then click in the gap between the header text (Album) and the arrow on the right in order to switch between:
    • Album
    • Album by Artist
    • Album by Artist/Year
    • Album
  • Sorting by Album by Artist can be non-intuitive (yes, that is the phrase I intended). Although the Album by Artist column is in bold text (which usually indicates the column that is being used to sort), in this case, it isn't. The sort is nominally the Artist column, to the left in my screenshot). But don't forget, it's actually the Album Artist field that is being used, not the Artist field. The sort will use the Artist field if the Album Artist field is blank
  • In the screenshot below, I've added in the Album Artist column (2, ringed in orange). As you can see, the album Yves Klein Blue does not have any text in the Album Artist field, so the Artist field (1) (Acrilic Colors) is used instead. However...

• if you try to sort by the Album Artist column (2), all albums with an empty Album Artist field will be placed after all other entries and it looks as though it's by album title, not artist. This means that the album Yves Klein Blue by Acrilic Colors will now be placed after Z, the Russian alphabet and numbers:

• As you can see in the above screenshot, although we're sorting by the Album Artist column, the actual sort field is the two ringed areas, so part of the left column and part of the right column. I didn't know this until just now, when I tried it in order to answer your post

I don't know whether this helps or not, you will have to let us know. But maybe it provides an insight that might help you decide how to sort in the future.

Oct 6, 2021 11:31 AM in response to esumsea

I get the idea. I notice you seem to prefer Jazz, a genre that seems to be prone to contributing artists. Some of the Jazz albums I have are by artists who are billed as solo artists, but with additional musicians who are not necessarily billed as guest artists.

For example, the album Three by Bob James has Ralph MacDonald, Eric Gale and Grover Washington Jr. all playing on it. Yes, they are credited in the album notes, but they are not billed as guest artists. Meanwhile, the Eric Gale album Ginseng Woman has Ralph MacDonald, Grover Washington Jr. and Bob James playing on various tracks. Ralph MacDonald also plays on Grover Washington's album Winelight, as does Eric Gale, but not (as far as I'm aware) Bob James.

So, I think what you would like to do is compile lists that have (for example) Eric Gale's own albums plus tracks he has played on.

How about making use of iTunes' comments field and the grouping field, and using sub-playlists? Don't forget, a Smart Playlist can look at other Smart Playlists.

For example (and yes, if you try this, it probably means that you will have to do some work, but I get the impression that's not an issue);

• suppose a track includes three specific musicians that you want to look for, type all three names into the comments field. Let's use Ralph MacDonald (since I have only tracks that he plays on, but none of his own albums), Eric Gale (I do have one album by him) and Harvey Mason
  • then create three separate Smart Playlists:
    • a Smart Playlist named Ralph, that has a rule "comments - contains - Ralph MacDonald" (this ensures that Ralph Mctell is not included*)
    • a Smart Playlist named Eric that has the rule "comments - contains - Eric Gale" and a further rule "Artist - is - Eric Gale" (note the difference between "contains" and "is")
    • a Smart Playlist named Harvey that has the rule "comments - contains - Harvey Mason"

Suppose that you now wish to have a further Playlist that includes tracks either Eric or Harvey, but not Ralph. Create another Smart playlist that has the following rules:

• Playlist - is - Eric
    • Playlist - is - Harvey

... and so on. Don't forget that a rule in a Smart Playlist can be "does not contain" as well as further options to exclude specific terms or words. To minimise problems, I recommend that you do not refer playlists back to each other (in other words, don't go round in circles) and to make your playlists easy to follow, don't have more references than you need.

Examples of my Smart Playlists:

• one that refers to three Regular Playlists
    • one that excludes a different Smart Playlist
    • one that refers to three Smart Playlists, at least one of which has four rules

* Thinking about it, the Playlist looking for Ralph MacDonald might give you some trouble with Ralph Mctell, depending what you create, but that is why you may need to experiment a bit. (This paragraph was added after initial posting.)

Oct 8, 2021 10:36 AM in response to esumsea

esumsea wrote:

I guess Apple really has no interest in making a music manager, especially since they want to sell you their streaming service that basically replaces it.

Bingo!

• Revenue made directly from iTunes as a programme that manages an individual's music library: not a brass farthing
    • Indirect revenue as a result of iTunes, when it was the only way to get apps and music onto devices; considerable. Indirect revenue as a result of purchasing apps and music directly on the device, considerable. No need for iTunes.
    • Revenue from streaming, managed directly on the device, without the need of iTunes. I'm guessing "quite a bit".

What is actually need is a stand-alone music manager that is at least as good as Tunes, but preferably builds on its success. iTunes is no longer used on recent MacOS systems, and without even speculating (which Apple don't allow here), I just wonder what's gong to happen in the future? I personally don't think Window Media Player is even in the running. I've used it and it is not user-friendly, despite claims to the contrary. Despite its faults and limitations (some of which I experience), iTunes is an excellent music manager.

Out of interest, I looked at the site you mentioned, but I can't say I was impressed. Yes, a lot of work has gone into those scripts, but:

• a script that adds gaps between each track.
    • In a discussion in 2012 it was suggested that there was no easy way to do this, but I pointed out (in that discussion) that all that was needed was to use an audio recording programme to create a mp3 of a few seconds of silence and then add that into the required place. I also pointed out that there was a website that had downloadable mp3s of silence in various lengths. That site is still active today, I've just checked. (http://duramecho.com/Misc/SilentCd/index.html)
  • a script that allows you to rip from CD in a specific format, without changing the Import Settings in iTunes and for that format to remain as your chosen format once the script has run.
    • I'm sorry, but I fail to see what advantage this has over using iTunes' settings, which would appear to do exactly that, but without someone else's contribution
  • a script that allows you to batch manage Playlists; including renaming playlists, merging, moving playlists to Playlist Folders, as well as changing the View As, Sort By and Column Browser settings.
    • I must be missing something. How much renaming of playlists does anyone need to do that makes using a script quicker and easier than selecting the playlist and renaming it? Moving a Playlist to a Playlist Folder: I have never, ever, needed a script to do such a simple task. As for changing the views; I have my preferred view. On occasions I have changed it, sometimes for my own benefit and sometimes in order to test/check views for people here. I then change it back. It's not difficult

Call me a grumpy old man, but I'm not won over.

I do however, want a music player that allows me to choose any one of multiple views and change those views easily, something that allows me to correct typing errors, change the genre, create and manage Playlists, create Smart Playlists (one of iTunes' best features in my mind) and one that makes it easy to add music to the player's database (I really don't understand WMP's way of doing that). iTunes can do all of this with ease.

I could go on, but all the time that clever people are creating scripts to do what iTunes can already do, rather than developing a terrific successor to iTunes (and add it to any portable device), I see my future ability to play and manage my music library as somewhat bleak.

Sep 21, 2021 6:38 AM in response to esumsea

I don't understand. I thought apple support reps monitored this forum. So Apple does not seem to care that their program is not functioning as it should? I guess I should not consider that a big surprise considering how many unaddressed issues exist in this software. Keep pushing away users, Apple. You will soon get your wish. Unbelievable!

Oct 6, 2021 6:46 AM in response to the fiend

Sorry for the late response. Unfortunately I had a huge project I had to focus on and could not break away. Thank you for the very detailed explanation. I knew all of that already, but hopefully it will benefit another because it was extrremely clear and well-written. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce what was happening before. I haave forgotten some of the variables as it took so long for anyone to respond. I am sure it will come up again as I keep working on this project.

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to repurpose the Artist Sort and the Album Artist Sort fields to list the Main Artist (Album Artist Sort) and to list all participating artists (Artist Sort).

Since itunes does not have a field for all participating artists, I had to do this work around. I would use a custom field that itunes does not use to store that information, but I want to be able to use that information to create smart playlists. So I can tell the smart playlist to search to the artist name in the Artist Sort field and I can make a playlist with all songs that artist participated in, not just those they were the main Artist or Album Artist. For example, if I wanted make a playlist with every song Jerry Garcia played in, I would also get Teach Your Children by CSN, as I listed Jerry Garcia in the Artist Sort field, even though he was not the Album Artist (CSN) or the Artist (CSN). Of course I could add in the Artist field "with Jerry Garcia," but I cannot do that for all the people playing in the song.

The Main Artist is different from the album artist in my custom Style Guide. I use the Main Artist to group all songs I want to fall under that artist. For example, there are the Verve Master Recordings for Charlie Parker. The Album Artist would be Charlie Parker, but in that album there are songs that appear in Milestones, by Miles Davis. To keep the Album together in iTunes, I MUST use one artist and in this case in makes most sense to use Charlie Parker (rather Parker, Charlie) but those songs are Miles Davis songs so I use the Main Artist (which is the Album Artist Sort field, repurposed) to group those songs under Miles Davis.

To summarize, I have repurpose the fields (Except for Artist, which functions as intended in iTunes) as such:

-Album Artist: used to group all songs in an album together

-Album Artist Sort: used to group all songs by an Artist(s)/Group together

-Artist: Used to List Main Artist(s)/Group for an individual Song. I don't really use this for sorting but rather as an informational tool.

-Artist Sort: Used to list All Artists involved in the recording. Again, not used for sorting, but to contain information to be used by smart playlist and the curious listener.

Because I am repurposing these fields I need them to sort individually and not affect each other, unless with the aforementioned case where one field is left bank. I understand how that affects things as you so well explained it. I read an article that stated that even if you sorted by Album Artist (with the field in bold), the songs would still sort by the values in the Album Artist Sort field. I wanted to make sure that was not the case, so I started sorting with different test values in the fields and they were not sorting in the proper way. They are now, so I need to keep testing so I can reporduce the prople, produce screenshots and report back. If I don't experience this again in the next month I will report back that it seemed to be a bug or perhaps some sort of user error, but I don't think it was.

I just wanted to report back to give some explanation to what I was trying to do to give the matter some relevance.

Oct 6, 2021 4:57 PM in response to the fiend

I am happy you get my gist. Yes you make so good points and see the problem clearly. Yes, I would like to tell a smart playlist to find Compay Segundo in any recording he participated in. This is why I take the time to input all this inforrmation. It is painstakingly time-consuming.

You do make an "aha!" point with the use of smart playlists to substitute my use of the Album Artist Sort field. It may be a bit messy to have a bunch of playlist for each main artist, and I would not be able to sort through the list with the column browser, which is convenient. I think I will keep misappropriating the Album Artist field, for now.

As far as your other suggestion, unfortunately I use almost all the fields for some purpose. I use the comments for actual comments. Sometimes it is a personal note, other times recording or mastering notes (for live shows-i.e. Grateful Dead and other jam bands). I use the grouping for classical and also to group songs that are almost always paired, using the sort by grouping. So while you make so great suggestions, they are not options for me.

I really don't understand iTunes' reticence in including an all artists field (or many others like Conductor), as their style guide for tagging music for artists specifically has a place for it. It is just data. In fact it would be nice to also include the instrument played by the Artist, for fastidious types. There is a place to put the tags but iTunes does not access it. I assume Apple Music does, but that does not impact me. I am actually thinking of buying a mac to manage my iTunes library and to have the ability to run Doug's scripts, which would greatly improve my experience, but I don't think that would give me any tools to help me with this dilemma.

Oct 7, 2021 8:14 AM in response to esumsea

esumsea wrote:

I really don't understand iTunes' reticence in including an all artists field (or many others like Conductor), as their style guide for tagging music for artists specifically has a place for it. It is just data. In fact it would be nice to also include the instrument played by the Artist, for fastidious types.

I believe Steve Jobs thought up the idea of iTunes and he - to the best of my knowledge - was thinking only about non-classical music (in other words, pop and rock). Hence, no provision was made for the demands of classical music enthusiasts. That's not really surprise, the iPod was considered unworthy of classical music at that time.

However, since then, iTunes has introduced the Work and Movement tags, something that many classical lovers expressed a desire for. To be honest, all the things you want to do are far more than iTunes was ever going to be capable of. It's regarded as far too complex as it stands now. If everything you are after was added, the naysayers would have a meltdown.

What you need is a separate programme, into which you could put all this information.

I am actually thinking of buying a mac to manage my iTunes library and to have the ability to run Doug's scripts, which would greatly improve my experience, but I don't think that would give me any tools to help me with this dilemma.

I'm not sure who you are talking about, unless you mean a chap named Doug Williams, who has a presence on a well known social media platform and who says "Thanks Fredrik" a lot. More to the point though, before you buy a Mac, remember that the latest versions of Mac OS (Catalina and Big Sur) do not use iTunes at all. You can't (to the best of my knowledge) install iTunes on those Macs. Instead, they use Finder, but I've no idea how sophisticated it is compared to iTunes.

All I can now suggest in addition to what I've already suggested, is that you look around for a stand-alone programme that will allow you to compile the information you want. There was such a programme, but it's no longer available to new users.

Oct 8, 2021 7:03 AM in response to the fiend

https://dougscripts.com/itunes/index.php

His name is Doug Adams. Check out all that he has created to make iTunes more usable. Believe me I have tried others. While other music managers work better, the ability to get that music out of the computer and cast it around your home while controlling it with your watch or phone is just not there yet. Everything else is MORE buggy in that regard so I am stuck with iTunes. I really don't understand why a music manager is so complicated that they could not produce a better product and I don't understand how adding functionality that does not have to be used would upset anyone, bbut I understand your points. They are valid. I guess Apple really has no interest in making a music manager, especially since they want to sell you their streaming service that basically replaces it.

Again, they do have the multiple artists tags for artist who upload their original music, so the taggin fields exist. Al that itunes needs to do is allow itunes to access them and include them in the column browser.

By the way, I thought about you suggestion of making playlists instead for repurposing the Sort Album Artist. It would give me the ability to use column browsers. I could create smart playlists, but there may be an issue of not having the tag attached to the file itself. Still, I am strongly considering using this suggestion, so thank you so much for that. Sometimes you just have to get a different angle on things...

Again, thank you for all the time you took to address my problem and try to help me with my issues. I am always open to new suggestions. If the sorting problem rears its ugly head I will report back with some screen shots. Have a great one!!

Oct 11, 2021 1:20 PM in response to the fiend

How about the app that allows you to replace a song and that song automatically gets populated to all the playlists the in which the old one existed? That is pretty useful. I'm not sure you are being very fair. You did nit-pick the ones you did not find useful but I am sure that are a few that you would find helpful if you went through all 600+ scripts. But, of course, you have the right to your opinion.

I do agree with all your other assertions. Yes, iTunes works pretty well, especially considering how little effort they put in developing it (how many other creations became much more than they were intended because its creation and use presented additional factors which were unknown until the application was put into use?). I think it is a cop-out to say they app has grown to more than which it was originally intended. Yes the future is bleak unless you want to spend a boatload of time trying to get Foobar and all its components to work. That is a completely customizable music player/manager, that is very capable, but the learning curve is huge!

It is great to interact with a like-minded individual. A lot of your views closely line up with mine. I guess I am not THAT crazy! ;)

iTunes not following proper sorting hierarchy (Sort Album Artist is NOT taking precedence).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.