Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud deleted my documents files

I turned iCloud off because I have no space and am tired of the notifications, and it deleted all of my desktop and documents files that were saved to my computer, they were not even on iCloud.

How do I get the files back??? I rechecked 'desktop' under iCloud and the folders came back but not the files. This is stupid feature, iCloud should not have ANY influence on things that are not saved on it. Spent days working on these files, I feel like throwing my Mac in the bin and buying a PC right now, please help stop me from doing so

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 7:32 PM

If you open system preferences > iCloud and uncheck the box of iCloud Drive a pop up window appears , showing to keep a copy of documents , and remove from the Mac .

( a ) if you had clicked on keep a copy , they will be archived in home folder that can be viewed by clicking on finder in the dock , take cursor on top menu bar > Go > Home > your user name > iCloud Drive ( Archive ) .

Double click on empty iCloud Drive box it will show setting up after sometime the box get checked .

You can select ( use command and A keys ) the files from iCloud Drive ( archive folder ) , copy them ( use command and C keys ) and paste ( use command and A keys ) over finder > cloyed section > Documents folder .

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2021 7:32 PM in response to jd42O

If you open system preferences > iCloud and uncheck the box of iCloud Drive a pop up window appears , showing to keep a copy of documents , and remove from the Mac .

( a ) if you had clicked on keep a copy , they will be archived in home folder that can be viewed by clicking on finder in the dock , take cursor on top menu bar > Go > Home > your user name > iCloud Drive ( Archive ) .

Double click on empty iCloud Drive box it will show setting up after sometime the box get checked .

You can select ( use command and A keys ) the files from iCloud Drive ( archive folder ) , copy them ( use command and C keys ) and paste ( use command and A keys ) over finder > cloyed section > Documents folder .

iCloud deleted my documents files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.