Related Article: About Apple USB power adapters

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does usb not charge my ipad even though it is able to transfer files?

My ipad will not charge with a USB cable, even though the same USB cable is able to transfer files between the computer and Ipad

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 2:43 AM

Many computer USB ports, if not specifically designed for charging of attached devices, are limited in their ability to provide power. Typical USB port limits are 500mA or 1.0A (i.e., 2.5W or 5W respectively), this being inadequate to charge an iPad.

Most iPad models require a power source of at least 12W (2.4A @5V) to reliably charge - or a USB PD (Power Delivery) Power Adapter of higher rating.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2021 2:43 AM in response to sgmatt99

Many computer USB ports, if not specifically designed for charging of attached devices, are limited in their ability to provide power. Typical USB port limits are 500mA or 1.0A (i.e., 2.5W or 5W respectively), this being inadequate to charge an iPad.

Most iPad models require a power source of at least 12W (2.4A @5V) to reliably charge - or a USB PD (Power Delivery) Power Adapter of higher rating.

why does usb not charge my ipad even though it is able to transfer files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.