Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked iPad with broken Power Button

My son has forgotten the password to his ipad, and to reset the ipad completely i need the power button to be working so i can connect to itunes. However, the power button is broken and we use assistive touch to get by. How do i reset the iPad without using the home button?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 1:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 3:27 PM

It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons.

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later, as now, you will encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

Until repaired, you will not be able to resolve a locked-out (disabled) iPad - or reset a forgotten device passcode.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 7, 2021 3:27 PM in response to farzana08

It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons.

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later, as now, you will encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

Until repaired, you will not be able to resolve a locked-out (disabled) iPad - or reset a forgotten device passcode.

Locked iPad with broken Power Button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.