Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Odd Email Problem

A couple of days ago I started getting popup messages on my desktop saying something to the effect "Please login to Google.com". I clicked login and it went to Safari (which I don't ever use) which showed the Google login page. I gave my username and password. And received a "failed login" message. I know I gave the correct password as I specified "show password" before I typed it in. Now, Google Mail in the Mail app is offline and won't come back online. Tried to login several times and each time, failed.

I can read my GMail using my browser, Firefox and using my iPad and phone but the Mail app is my goto workhorse for emails and it is very cumbersome not to be able use it.

Any assistance is very much appreciated.

Keith

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 3:52 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Sep 8, 2021 9:23 AM in response to 13amplifiers

I checked out the link you provided, BD. The information there indicates that if I'm using 2-step verification I may have trouble logging in with some apps. I don't use 2-step authentication with Google. Would this indicate that the problem lies elsewhere?

BTW, the login popup popped up again so I took a screen shot:

Not sure it this provides more info. Entering my password in Internet Accounts always fails.

Keith

Sep 9, 2021 6:17 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BD. I'm a bit confused. There is nothing on the link about less secure login unless you mean "Skip a second step on trusted devices". Also, it says "Important: Only check this box on devices you regularly use and don't share with anyone else.". Check what box?

I'm sorry to seem to be complete putz about this. I have been using computers for nearly 50 year now but it seems that there's always one more thing to catch you up on.

Cheers,

Keith

Odd Email Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.