Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID Unlock

Hello,

I have iPhone Xr and I always use face id to unlock my device. Recently I have noticed that my device’s face Id recognize my brother’s face and it unlocks my device. Same thing happening with my brother (I can unlock with my face) iPhone too.

For your information: we are not twins, we don’t use multiple face id and we did reset face id still facing same issue.

Need help.

iPhone XR, 14

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 3:43 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Firstly, I think you are going off the topic by showing future of face id. I have described an issue which I am facing in my routine and have tried multiple times and at multiple places to see the existence of issue. Secondly, it not the matter of trusting technology in fact it is reporting the glitches of the technology,

using face id is my personal preference and convenient to unlock my device nobody can tell me what security to use. If I am facing issue with face id and i don’t report instead i use pass code then whats the point of discussion.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2021 3:43 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks for the reply.

Firstly, I think you are going off the topic by showing future of face id. I have described an issue which I am facing in my routine and have tried multiple times and at multiple places to see the existence of issue. Secondly, it not the matter of trusting technology in fact it is reporting the glitches of the technology,

using face id is my personal preference and convenient to unlock my device nobody can tell me what security to use. If I am facing issue with face id and i don’t report instead i use pass code then whats the point of discussion.

Sep 8, 2021 3:22 AM in response to T-start

If you both are sitting in the same room and trying to open the device, then the chances of you facing the device for even a fraction of a second may open the device. Also, check if you have set up an alternative FaceID, remove it.

The way I see it, Face ID is going to be used everywhere in the future. Now many Airports use Face ID for boarding into Aircraft instead of scanning the boarding pass. During an immigration process also Face ID is being used.

It can't be as easy as you describe it. There is something that is amiss here.

If you are worried about security and do not trust technologies then please use a passcode to authenticate. Very simple.

Security safeguards

Security is important to all of us to protect the information on our devices. We have done some important things to safeguard your information, the same way we did with Touch ID. Face ID uses the TrueDepth camera and machine learning for a secure authentication solution. Face ID data - including mathematical representations of your face - is encrypted and protected with a key available only to the Secure Enclave.

The probability that a random person in the population could look at your iPhone or iPad Pro and unlock it using Face ID is approximately 1 in 1,000,000 with a single enrolled appearance. As additional protection, Face ID allows only five unsuccessful match attempts before a passcode is required. The statistical probability is different for twins and siblings that look like you and among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate.

Face ID Unlock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.