Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Map not showing up for workouts in activity app with Apple Watch 3

I have verified all location services are on, and I unpaired and re-paired my Apple Watch 3, but the map still only shows my run and walk routes when I carry my phone with me. I have cellular service on my watch, so why isn't this working?

Do I need to pair it as a new watch instead of from backup?

This shouldn't be so difficult.

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 1:43 AM

To see the map, you must turn on route tracking. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services,turn location services on then tap Apple Watch Workout, then tap While Using the App.

Then tap on maps then tap While using the app.

Then tap on System Services and turn on motion calibration and distance.

Another place to check is on the watch in settings/privacy/Location Services and make sure this is turned on and scroll down to apple watch workout and select while using the app.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2021 1:43 AM in response to Mgreppin

To see the map, you must turn on route tracking. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services,turn location services on then tap Apple Watch Workout, then tap While Using the App.

Then tap on maps then tap While using the app.

Then tap on System Services and turn on motion calibration and distance.

Another place to check is on the watch in settings/privacy/Location Services and make sure this is turned on and scroll down to apple watch workout and select while using the app.

Sep 12, 2021 6:15 AM in response to Community User

Thank you, @fieryjack. I had already confirmed all of those settings were turned on as you described. I have also re-paired the watch from backup after confirming those settings. I have restarted both devices. The map works as long as my iPhone 11pro is with me. However, if I don't take my phone, my AppleWatch 3 with cellular service does not record the route. Is there something else I am missing?

Map not showing up for workouts in activity app with Apple Watch 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.