Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem using Migration Assistant

I have set up my new mac mini as a completely new system running Big Sur 11.5.2 I am now trying to use Migration Assistant to transfer some specific settings (an extensive table of Keyboard Text shortcuts) from my old 2011 iMac. That is limited to running High Sierra 10.13.6. Hence my long overdue new system.

WiFI connection did not work. I have just tried Gigabit Ethernet cable connection. Migration Assistant is locked into a "Looking for Other Sources" Loop. I don't know why, or how to fix it, if it is fixable.

Help required. Relevant advice welcome

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 10:20 AM

I know that the instructions say you can use Wi-Fi, but it seldom works. It is simply too much data for the slow Wi-Fi to process. Ethernet cable should work, but a wired USB cable connecting the two computers will be faster and more reliable. I suggest reconnecting and starting over. I hope that works for you. As noted in the instructions, with computers must also be turned on.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2021 10:20 AM in response to oldscotty

I know that the instructions say you can use Wi-Fi, but it seldom works. It is simply too much data for the slow Wi-Fi to process. Ethernet cable should work, but a wired USB cable connecting the two computers will be faster and more reliable. I suggest reconnecting and starting over. I hope that works for you. As noted in the instructions, with computers must also be turned on.

Problem using Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.