Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

in my Edit function Cut and Copy are grayed out, the paste only is highlighted

how do I enable or highlight my cut and copy functions so I can use them?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 9:17 PM

11 replies

Sep 10, 2021 7:22 AM in response to dialabrain

I don't think I am missing the point - you wrote that whether one could Copy may depend on what is already in the clipboard. This is incorrect. Whatever you copy replaces what is in the clipboard, if anything.

You claimed that not having pasted would have an effect. This is incorrect. Pasting does not change the contents of the clipboard, nor does it have "memory" of whether or where it was pasted.

Whether you can Paste depends on what is in the clipboard, and in what application you are.

You may have copied an image, and cannot paste in a plain text editor, for example.

Whether you can Copy depends only on what is selected - it does not depend on whether you pasted the contents of the clipboard or not.

Sep 10, 2021 7:59 AM in response to IDKspokane

IDKspokane wrote:

how do I enable or highlight my cut and copy functions so I can use them?

Apparently my first post was worded in a way that confused someone. Cut & Copy will only highlight once you select something to cut or copy. If only Paste is higlighted that means you have nothing selected but you do have something in the clipboard.

Hopefully that clears things up.

in my Edit function Cut and Copy are grayed out, the paste only is highlighted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.