Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari problems

Hi,

I have a 24" iMac 2007 running El Capitan (it won't update to a later OS) I have Safari version 11.1.2 on it. I am getting issues with trying to get onto on line banking, saying the certificate provider for the banking site is not trustworthy, I think this issue is coming up because Safari needs up dating, but I can't seem to do this. Can this be done, or should I just use a different browser?

Thanks in advance for any help

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 11:20 AM

I think I can explain what is happening. If you are unable to access certain web sites and possibly getting a message that your browser must be updated, this is not an unusual situation. The reason is that web site engineers write their software to work with various browsers based on standardized specifications if they are to be compliant. Some sites are not yet compliant. Also, some older browsers such as yours may not be fully compliant. You can use another browser that does work such as Firefox or Chrome. They can be individually updated as needed. It is important to know that Safari is installed as part of the operating system and it normally it cannot be individually updated. Safari is periodically updated when the computer's operating system (OS) is updated or upgraded. This is why many of us have more than one browser installed.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2021 11:20 AM in response to suejac21

I think I can explain what is happening. If you are unable to access certain web sites and possibly getting a message that your browser must be updated, this is not an unusual situation. The reason is that web site engineers write their software to work with various browsers based on standardized specifications if they are to be compliant. Some sites are not yet compliant. Also, some older browsers such as yours may not be fully compliant. You can use another browser that does work such as Firefox or Chrome. They can be individually updated as needed. It is important to know that Safari is installed as part of the operating system and it normally it cannot be individually updated. Safari is periodically updated when the computer's operating system (OS) is updated or upgraded. This is why many of us have more than one browser installed.

Safari problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.