Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac won’t boot

Hi

i am getting the question mark box when trying to boot my iMac so i power down hold command +R which presents me with a lock icon and password. I imput the password but nothing happens it just disappears and allows me type password again but does not load anything so I am unable to go into recovery.

id be greatful for any help/advice. I’ve also tried resetting pram but that doesn’t seem to be allowing me to do that as nothing happens !

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 4:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 7:13 AM

Looks like you are following > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204323

If you are using a wireless keyboard and can not enter the NVRAM or Recovery key commands?

Then you will need to dig out, borrow, buy and use a USB keyboard to enter the key commands at startup.

2 replies

Sep 9, 2021 7:20 AM in response to P4ul80

The hard drive in your Mac may have failed. If den.theds spot on instructions do not help then the next step is to take the computer to your Apple Authorized Service Provider to have it diagnosed. If the computer is a 2013 or earlier, don't spend money on repairing it, it is time to replace it. If it is a 2014 or earlier, then after visiting the Apple Authorized Service Provider then you can assess your options.

My iMac won’t boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.