Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer music from iPad Air to iTunes without loosing the existing music on iPad

How do I transfer music from iPad Air to iTunes on the Mac

Or how do I transfer music from iPad Air to iPhone 12

I know I can sync iPad with iTunes on the Mac but doing that I believe will loose the old music I have on iPad which I don't want to happen.

Thanks

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 7:42 AM

You cannot transfer music from an iPad or iPhone to iTunes. The sync always works the other way, from iTunes/Apple Music to your device. If you purchased music on device, it will be available for download in iTunes.

4 replies

Sep 9, 2021 10:28 AM in response to muguy

I realized that and that's why I also mentioned if there is a way I can transfer music from iPad directly to iPhone12.

On iPad I have most music I copied from cd's, flash drive and purchased some.

I have the most music on iPad compared to iTunes and iPhone and that is the reason I do not want to loose it by syncing it to the iTunes.

Sep 9, 2021 10:31 AM in response to mdnaseem

No, everything syncs through iTunes (or through iTunes Match or Apple Music). Anything you have on your iPad came through iTunes at some point so you should have that available to you somewhere. But, you cannot transfer backward (from I device to iTunes) natively. There may be some third-party software out there, I've just never used it.

Transfer music from iPad Air to iTunes without loosing the existing music on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.