Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What cable do I need to hook up 2 tb external hard drive to back of my new M1 iMac? Which hole in the back do I plug it into?

What cable do I need to hook up 2 tb external hard drive to back of my new M1 iMac? Which hole in the back do I plug it into?

It was plugged into my older 2011 iMac that I traded in for new iMac 24” 2tb hard drive ,16 ram.

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 8:13 PM

You need Thunderbolt/USB connectors, see Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C port on your Mac - Apple Support

Once you get a cable or adapter with that connector you can plug it in any of those ports.

For the specs you said, you might have the one with 4 ports, so the 2 closer to the edge are USB 3 and the 2 closer to the stand are Thunderbold / USB 4 iMac 24-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple

Edit: And as Jack-19 said, the other end must match your HD's connector, so maybe an adapter can be of help, or a new cable built with the connectors you need.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2021 8:13 PM in response to johnrgarland

You need Thunderbolt/USB connectors, see Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C port on your Mac - Apple Support

Once you get a cable or adapter with that connector you can plug it in any of those ports.

For the specs you said, you might have the one with 4 ports, so the 2 closer to the edge are USB 3 and the 2 closer to the stand are Thunderbold / USB 4 iMac 24-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple

Edit: And as Jack-19 said, the other end must match your HD's connector, so maybe an adapter can be of help, or a new cable built with the connectors you need.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.