Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP PLEASE!!! Catalina and iPhoto

so, yes, I know I'm a dinosaur, but I really liked using iPhoto.... I have probably 50K+ photos in about a dozen different iPhoto libraries, each of which sort into dozens or more albums. Now with the latest Catalina update, iPhoto no longer runs.

What is the best software solution to be able to import all the libraries with the albums, ratings, flags, etc into something that works with the new Mac OS? I know that I can import the libraries into Photos, but it loses all the albums and info, etc.

Looking for a solution PLEASE!!!!

--Mike

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 9:36 AM

scientist-bob wrote:

I know that I can import the libraries into Photos, but it loses all the albums and info, etc.

That's 100% wrong. When you migrate an iPhoto Library to a Photos library the iPhoto Events become albums (with the same name) if a sidebar folder titled iPhoto Events (duh!). Albums are converted to albums. The only item that is not converted totally the same are projects. That's because Photos does not offer the books, calendars, etc., but go thru 3rd party extensions/software. Slideshows are OK except for a couple of themes in iPhoto that don't exist in Photos.

So just open each of your iPhoto libraries with Photos and convert them to Photos.

If your Mac can run Big Sur I suggest you upgrade to that instead of staying at Catalina. There have been many bug fixes with Photos from Catalina to Big Sur and Photos is much better now.

Big Sur Photos is much more powerful in editing than iPhoto ever was.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2021 9:36 AM in response to scientist-bob

scientist-bob wrote:

I know that I can import the libraries into Photos, but it loses all the albums and info, etc.

That's 100% wrong. When you migrate an iPhoto Library to a Photos library the iPhoto Events become albums (with the same name) if a sidebar folder titled iPhoto Events (duh!). Albums are converted to albums. The only item that is not converted totally the same are projects. That's because Photos does not offer the books, calendars, etc., but go thru 3rd party extensions/software. Slideshows are OK except for a couple of themes in iPhoto that don't exist in Photos.

So just open each of your iPhoto libraries with Photos and convert them to Photos.

If your Mac can run Big Sur I suggest you upgrade to that instead of staying at Catalina. There have been many bug fixes with Photos from Catalina to Big Sur and Photos is much better now.

Big Sur Photos is much more powerful in editing than iPhoto ever was.

HELP PLEASE!!! Catalina and iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.