Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to listen to a song/audio file (MP3, etc) without it automatically being added to your Apple Music Library?

I have seen similar versions of this question asked, but I was hoping for a more recent answer.

Most of the answers I've seen still refer to iTunes, and a workaround using QuickTime.

So on my iMac I have an external HDD connected and I would like the ability to just click some of the older audio files I have on there, but not have those added to my Apple Music library, because I keep that nice and organized, and some of these old MP3s, are missing all the metadata that helps keep my Library organized. So I was hoping there was an easy setting Im just overlooking, to stop automatically adding a song I play outside of Apple Music to my library.

The only work around that I see does still work is the "Quick Look" option. But I was hoping the Music App itself had a built in setting to adjust this.

Thanks so much for any information!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 1:38 PM

Same answer for Music as for iTunes. Right-click the MP3 and choose Open With > QuickTime (or Open With > VLC, if you have VLC installed).

Similar questions

1 reply

Is it possible to listen to a song/audio file (MP3, etc) without it automatically being added to your Apple Music Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.