Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I backup my iPad to my external hard drive?

I don't have enough room on my computer to backup my iPad. Can I direct iTunes to backup to my external hard drive? I have Windows 10 PC.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 2:25 PM

You don't necessarily have to have a backup in place first, but you do need enough free space for the backup that iTunes is planning to make. If it thinks, for example, that the backup will need 10Gb then you'll need at least 10Gb (and whatever safely margin iTunes adds) free on the system drive before it will attempt to commence the backup. Using the symbolic link will mean that the data is actually placed on the external drive. If you don't already have your iTunes library on your external you could potentially move that. Perhaps there is other data that you can move, or you can uninstall software that you don't use. See also the Windows disk cleanup tool.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2021 2:25 PM in response to Wolfsongs

You don't necessarily have to have a backup in place first, but you do need enough free space for the backup that iTunes is planning to make. If it thinks, for example, that the backup will need 10Gb then you'll need at least 10Gb (and whatever safely margin iTunes adds) free on the system drive before it will attempt to commence the backup. Using the symbolic link will mean that the data is actually placed on the external drive. If you don't already have your iTunes library on your external you could potentially move that. Perhaps there is other data that you can move, or you can uninstall software that you don't use. See also the Windows disk cleanup tool.

tt2

Sep 11, 2021 1:18 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you but I cannot back up my iPad at all on my computer. This requires you have a backup on your computer already, right?

I have almost no room on my PC. That is my other problem. My programs are not enough to account for all the space that is gone. I emptied my Trash Bin which had a lot in it, several GB but it did not free up any space on my hard drive.

So until I figure out how to resolve that I cannot backup my iPad on my C: drive.

How can I backup my iPad to my external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.