Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Storage taking too much local space on my iPhone

So I recently uploaded my photos library (60GB) to iCloud photos, to my surprise these photos take up space in my phone as well (around 20GB).

Why would it take 20 GB on my phone when all my photos are on iCloud?

At this rate I will run out of phone storage in the next 6 months. What are the possible solutions for this?

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 2:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 5:16 AM

At this rate I will run out of phone storage in the next 6 months. What are the possible solutions for this?

Several:

Buy an iPhone with a larger drive.

Choose to optimise the size of the photos stored on your phone, if you haven't already done this. See Apple's support page Use iCloud Photos on iPhone. This makes significant gains in space.

Archive some off your device and off iCloud to reduce the number of photos in your iCloud library.

iCloud Photos is not an offsite archive, it is a syncing service. All your participating devices receive copies of the photos in your iCloud Photos service.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2021 5:16 AM in response to ishaanx27

Several:

Buy an iPhone with a larger drive.

Choose to optimise the size of the photos stored on your phone, if you haven't already done this. See Apple's support page Use iCloud Photos on iPhone. This makes significant gains in space.

Archive some off your device and off iCloud to reduce the number of photos in your iCloud library.

iCloud Photos is not an offsite archive, it is a syncing service. All your participating devices receive copies of the photos in your iCloud Photos service.

iCloud Photo Storage taking too much local space on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.