Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery service recommended on low battery count

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 7:51 PM

How old is the battery? All batteries are consumables, they get used up over time. Exceeding 1000 cycles will use up a battery, but also using it over a long enough period of time (3-5 years is typical but some batteries last much longer -- I have a 2010 Macbook Air working well with its original battery which is still good to 85% of original capacity).

If a battery is left plugged in a charged to 100% all the time, that can lead to it wearing out, but the newer operating systems (Catalina, Big Sur) build in some discharge and recharge cycles to prevent that.

Sometimes batteries just wear out prematurely.

Under About This Mac, select System Report and then select Power. When the battery shows in the menu that it is charged to 100%, what do you see for "Charge Remaining" (mAh) versus "Full Charge Capacity?" (mAh) Also, what is shown under Health Information?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2021 7:51 PM in response to won jai

How old is the battery? All batteries are consumables, they get used up over time. Exceeding 1000 cycles will use up a battery, but also using it over a long enough period of time (3-5 years is typical but some batteries last much longer -- I have a 2010 Macbook Air working well with its original battery which is still good to 85% of original capacity).

If a battery is left plugged in a charged to 100% all the time, that can lead to it wearing out, but the newer operating systems (Catalina, Big Sur) build in some discharge and recharge cycles to prevent that.

Sometimes batteries just wear out prematurely.

Under About This Mac, select System Report and then select Power. When the battery shows in the menu that it is charged to 100%, what do you see for "Charge Remaining" (mAh) versus "Full Charge Capacity?" (mAh) Also, what is shown under Health Information?

Sep 13, 2021 7:18 PM in response to won jai

What does your battery system information say about voltage (usually it shows how many millivolts)? I'll assume 11400 millivolts, but if it is different the following equation should be modified. 4395 mAh x 11400 millivolts = 50 watt-hrs. When new, I believe that your Mac battery had 76 watt-hrs capacity. So it only has about 65% of its original capacity. Below 80% of original capacity Apple usually recommends replacing the battery.

But wait -- check this article https://9to5mac.com/2021/02/10/macbook-pro-battery-replacement-charging/ apparently some 2017 Macbook Pro batteries were defective and Apple will re[lace them for free? If your serial number falls into the range specified by Apple, they may replace yours for free.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.