Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i cant delete my macbook safari history anymore

I can't delete my MacBook Air safari history anymore. I have a big history that I would like to delete in order to freeze up space, but the 'delete history' button is grey and I can't get it to work anymore. How do I fix this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 4:32 AM

Quit Safari.

Launch Safari holding the shift key down.

Test.

Quote:

On your Mac, you can also update your settings to prevent windows from opening again after you close Safari, or just press and hold the Shift key when you open Safari.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

4 replies

Sep 19, 2021 1:23 PM in response to ellac25

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account.  Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. See if you can delete the history.

Safe Mode - About.    

i cant delete my macbook safari history anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.