Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting Videos by Duration

Hi, I have recently faced a problem of sorting my videos by their duration/length on my macOS Big Sur 11.5.2. I have also tried sorting videos in my 'Movies' and 'Music' folders, however under 'Show View Options' I see no option to sort by duration/length. Is it somehow possible to perform the mentioned action? I find it rather hectic of checking info on every video.

I have attached a screenshot from my 'Show View Options' of my Movies folder.

Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 5:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 6:26 AM

The ability to sort by duration is not available in the Finder Group by or Sort by menu as you have shown. Instead, change the directory to your Movies folder, and while in the Finder window, press cmd+2 to change to list view. Right-click on the header in the list view and select Duration. It will be added to the right-most column, where you can click on it, drag, and release adjacent to the Name column. When you click on that Duration header, it sorts descending by duration, by folder.

Duration is not available for .mkv movies, but is shown for .mp4, .m4v, and .mov.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2021 6:26 AM in response to gitas224

The ability to sort by duration is not available in the Finder Group by or Sort by menu as you have shown. Instead, change the directory to your Movies folder, and while in the Finder window, press cmd+2 to change to list view. Right-click on the header in the list view and select Duration. It will be added to the right-most column, where you can click on it, drag, and release adjacent to the Name column. When you click on that Duration header, it sorts descending by duration, by folder.

Duration is not available for .mkv movies, but is shown for .mp4, .m4v, and .mov.

Sorting Videos by Duration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.