Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages, the cloud, and iCloud backup

So I just began downloading the messages on my phone to iCloud with the intention of having them (history included) accessible on my computer too in the event that my phone fails or something. how does iCloud backup play into this? I don't have it turned on because I don't have enough storage space for it to backup everything -- and the only thing im hellbent on saving in an emergency is my messages (since my photos are backed up differently).

Without iCloud backup turned on, will my message history be visible on my computer (same Apple ID) once they are done downloading? Say my phone or computer goes kaput, will I be able to put my message history on any new device if I'm just using iCloud for messages and not iCloud backup?

Thanks

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 9:13 AM

With iCloud Messages, messages sync automatically to all devices where that option is turned on and they will also sync to any new device where you turn that option on. You do not need to use iCloud Backup for any of that to happen with iCloud Messages.

Also see Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support including the following:

iCloud keeps your entire message history updated and available on all your devices, even when you set up a brand-new device.

and

Messages in iCloud are updated automatically, so you always have the same view everywhere you use iMessage. When you delete a message, photo, or conversation on one device, it’s removed from all of your devices. And since all of your attachments are stored in iCloud, you can save space on your device.

You can use Messages in iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch, and Mac. For your privacy, Messages in iCloud is end-to-end encrypted,* which means you can't view or access Messages online via browser. 

and

If you turn off Messages in iCloud on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch your message history will be included in a separate iCloud backup. If you set up an Apple Watch for a family member, Messages in iCloud is the only way to back up messages. 

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2021 9:13 AM in response to bubbaz99

With iCloud Messages, messages sync automatically to all devices where that option is turned on and they will also sync to any new device where you turn that option on. You do not need to use iCloud Backup for any of that to happen with iCloud Messages.

Also see Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support including the following:

iCloud keeps your entire message history updated and available on all your devices, even when you set up a brand-new device.

and

Messages in iCloud are updated automatically, so you always have the same view everywhere you use iMessage. When you delete a message, photo, or conversation on one device, it’s removed from all of your devices. And since all of your attachments are stored in iCloud, you can save space on your device.

You can use Messages in iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch, and Mac. For your privacy, Messages in iCloud is end-to-end encrypted,* which means you can't view or access Messages online via browser. 

and

If you turn off Messages in iCloud on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch your message history will be included in a separate iCloud backup. If you set up an Apple Watch for a family member, Messages in iCloud is the only way to back up messages. 

iMessages, the cloud, and iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.