Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeCapsule replacement ...

Hello,

I have a Time Capsule that I use as a network storage device and also as a network extender in our home. It is getting old and Apple does not support it anymore.

I would like to have suggestions to replace the device for both of these utility: network storage and wired network extender.

Do you have any suggestions ?

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 8:27 AM

I would like to have suggestions to replace the device for both of these utility: network storage and wired network extender.

Apple was the only supplier to offer a "one-piece solution".......a router with a built in hard drive, so there are no direct "one-piece" replacements for your requirements for both network storage and wired access point in one single product.

The closest that you will come would be a "two-piece solution"........ the Synology router or one of the upper end Asus routers that include a USB 3.0 port that supports Time Machine backups and network storage to a separate attached USB drive. There might be other routers that also support Time Machine backups in this manner, but I am not aware of them.

To act as an access point, the Synology router or one of the Asus routers would need to be configured to operate in Bridge Mode and the set up to provide a WiFi network that uses the exact same wireless network name and password as the current "main" WiFi router on your network.

The USB drive would need to be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)......also known an HFS+..... to work with Time Machine on the Synology router or one of the Asus routers.

Another option would be to consider a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device that would connect to your "main" router using an Ethernet connection, but Macs could back up to the NAS over the WiFi network. You will of course need to add another router to function as an access point to provide extended WiFi coverage. The Synology NAS products are popular devices with Mac users who want to use Time Machine to back up their Macs.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2021 8:27 AM in response to rlesperance

Apple was the only supplier to offer a "one-piece solution".......a router with a built in hard drive, so there are no direct "one-piece" replacements for your requirements for both network storage and wired access point in one single product.

The closest that you will come would be a "two-piece solution"........ the Synology router or one of the upper end Asus routers that include a USB 3.0 port that supports Time Machine backups and network storage to a separate attached USB drive. There might be other routers that also support Time Machine backups in this manner, but I am not aware of them.

To act as an access point, the Synology router or one of the Asus routers would need to be configured to operate in Bridge Mode and the set up to provide a WiFi network that uses the exact same wireless network name and password as the current "main" WiFi router on your network.

The USB drive would need to be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)......also known an HFS+..... to work with Time Machine on the Synology router or one of the Asus routers.

Another option would be to consider a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device that would connect to your "main" router using an Ethernet connection, but Macs could back up to the NAS over the WiFi network. You will of course need to add another router to function as an access point to provide extended WiFi coverage. The Synology NAS products are popular devices with Mac users who want to use Time Machine to back up their Macs.

Sep 22, 2021 6:59 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I have a small home/office network: ISP'S cable modem + Airport Extreme 2nd gen + Time Capsule 4th gen + a few D-Link switches .. hokked to

No big office or complicated needs. I only want good hardware I can count on.

Do you have specific products (names and model) to replace the one I have and that would breed new life to my small network ?

Sep 22, 2021 7:22 PM in response to rlesperance

Sorry, but I do not recommend a product unless I have used it myself. Currently, I am using the 802.11ac versions of the AirPort Extreme and an 802.11ac version of the Time Capsule, which also provides WiFi on the other side of the house. Both products are now about 3 1/2 years old.The AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule are connected together using an Ethernet cable connection. I also have USB drives connected directly to the two Macs here.

If the AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule fail tomorrow, I would probably take a long look at the Synology router, which has a USB port that will support Time Machine backups to an attached USB drive. I would use the second Synology router wired to the first to provide additional WiFi coverage. The Synology router is model RT2600AC.

Sep 23, 2021 1:58 AM in response to rlesperance

The current model Mesh router set sold by Apple is likely a good choice.

Linksys Velop which are available in packs of 1, 2 or 3 nodes. It is homekit compatible and shows Apple has been working on it with the manufacturer.. you can buy it from any store of course.. They keep the model number hidden.. AX4200 and you can read up the specs here.

https://dongknows.com/linksys-velop-mx4200-ax4200-mesh-router-review/

He has good reviews of mesh systems on the older wifi5 and newer wifi6 standards.

Also some details of cloud vs web setup which is well worth reading and velop is a good choice because it has both albeit web setup is well hidden.

Dong on web vs mobile

https://dongknows.com/web-interface-vs-mobile-app/

Dong review mesh wifi 6.

https://dongknows.com/best-wi-fi-6-mesh-systems/

mesh wifi 5

https://dongknows.com/best-wi-fi-5-mesh-systems/

To replace the Time Capsule to do network backups .. the best solution is a Synology NAS. A cheap end one will work fine.. and while expensive it will last maybe as long as your TC if well looked after.

Sep 23, 2021 5:54 AM in response to rlesperance

Just a quick note to point out that while Apple sells the Linksys Velop Mesh System.......they do not offer any type of support for the product. In other words, if you buy the Velop System from Apple and call Apple Support regarding any questions, service, or set up, they will refer you to Linksys Support.

I cannot remember if the Linksys routers have a USB port that would allow you to connect a USB hard drive, but I do know that the Velop System does not support Time Machine backups.

If you are interested in network storage with the Linksys System, the way to go would be with a NAS, as LaPastenague and I have already suggested.

If you want to connect a USB drive to the router for network storage or backups, the only routers that I am aware of that will support this are the Synology router and some of the upper end Asus models.

TimeCapsule replacement ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.