Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With the new iPad, is it mandatory to use Touch ID

If I don’t want to use the Touch ID, what are my other options to unlock my iPad, and is there an option to unlock by just using the Home button?

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 3:47 PM

TouchID is not mandatory. You can also lock your iPad with

a PIN code - numeric or alphanumeric.

This link may provide you a good start:

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/set-a-passcode-ipad997daf9f/ipados

2 replies

Sep 14, 2021 5:49 PM in response to Jezebel666

Significant elements of iPad functionality are reliant upon a Passcode being set. The use of TouchID (and FaceID on some models) is, however, entirely optional. If you don’t wish to use TouchID, you simply do not need to configure this feature - or you can either fully or selectively disable its use.

Specific details of setting and managing your Passcode and TouchID can be found in these support pages:

Set a passcode on iPad - Apple Support

Set up Touch ID on iPhone - Apple Support

With the new iPad, is it mandatory to use Touch ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.