Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Com ports for virtual machine

Hello,

I am using Oracle VirtualBox to run car diagnostics on Windows 10, but I have problem with communication between MacBook ports and VM. I need to insert right path/adress of this USB COM port via image, but I don't know where to find because I am newbie with MacOS. I tried a few commands in terminal ls /dev/tty* and ls /dev/cu* but where wasn't anything similar to usbserial.

Then I tried find /def > list1 and find /def > list2 , but still nothing. So am I doing something wrong? Need to install any additional drive for these com ports? Yeah there is the Boot camp, but it is last option.

Thank you for your help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 12:56 PM

6 replies

Sep 15, 2021 12:13 AM in response to woodmeister50

Its Macbook air 2018 and this port, but i have to use the reduction cabel, because the diagnostics program have USB type A connectors for cabel communication. I went through several forums, but no one had this type of problem and everything was working fine for them. Anyway i found FTDI driver for usbserial ports, but don't know if it will work.

Sep 14, 2021 1:41 PM in response to Konaii

What USB to serial dongle are you using?

I have a couple different ones. One on a development board shows up in /dev as tty.usbmodem0007789461561 and cu.usbmodem0007789461561. The apps I use utilize the "tty" one.

FWIW, one of my FTDI dongles as an example same in /dev tty.usbserial-FTGOI62F.

Some generic off the shelf USB to Serial dangles us a Prolific chip that has had many variations and updates some of which may be no longer compatible with Macs (found that out myself). So, if this is one that you have, you may need to buy a more current one or one that is FTDI based or Maxim based.

Sep 15, 2021 7:45 AM in response to Konaii

Konaii wrote:
...Anyway i found FTDI driver for usbserial ports, but don't know if it will work.

I did not have to install any drivers on my M1 MacBook Air macOS 11.6 for the FTDI devices to work.

I am connected via a Belkin USB Multimedia Hub which in turn is connected to a Sabrent 6 port USB 3.0 hub.

Also, I have had my devices working when connected with the Apple USB-C to USB-A dongle.

What are you connecting? If it is a USB to Serial adapter, what exact make and model is it?

Com ports for virtual machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.