Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail issue on Big Sur is a REPEATABLE ERROR.

September 14, 2021

I’m on a BRAND New iMAC 2021 with Big Sur 11.5.2 and Apple MAIL version 14.0 (3654.120.0.1.13). The emails that are coming in I read then quit the Mail App and later when I launch the Mail app all the emails I previously read are marked as UNREAD. This goes on and on again as often as I read the emails and quit and relaunch the Mail app I get all my messages again as UNREAD. I have 15 email accounts on a dedicated UNIX server, and all email accounts are set to POP. There is NO relaying emails from gmail, yahoo, or Hotmail so no interference from any 3rd parties. All emails have a domain.com address. I also have a MacBookPRO running High Sierra 10.13.6 the emails work fine on the MacBookPRO. I noticed that on Big Sur Mail a function has been removed which is in High Sierra Mail a check box with “Remove copy from server after retrieving a message” This function when turned on High Sierra in the Mail app causes LOSS of emails going to BIG SUR. And when NOT checked the emails on BIG SUR NEVER get Read, even after reading the emails the Mail app shows the email was not read. This is a SERIOUS BUG in Big Sur Mail app. I hope this can be FIXED soon.

If you have a Fix to the BIG SUR issues of read emails not showing up over and over again as UNREAD please let me know.

Also the other BIG SUR issue is when you read or delete mail on BIG SUR all mail stays on the server. I have a private dedicated server and all emails have been deleted from the server in the past with when read or deleted High Sierra Mail when the check box is checked “Remove copy from server after retrieving a message”

Why was this FEATURE “Remove copy from server after retrieving a message” NOW no longer available with BIG SUR? Is this a step backwards for Apple Mail app?  Hope there is a quick solution otherwise I’ll never be able to go to BIG SUR OS with any other Mac computers unless I want constant email issues.

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 2:07 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 16, 2021 7:28 AM in response to AZPublishing

Yes, POP is old, and Apple has been pushing people away from using POP for several years.

Even to create a POP account requires a non-obvious trick: when you add a new mail account, POP is nowhere to be seen.

You have to simulate creating an IMAP account, put in a wrong password and only then you see an option to choose POP.

That said, I still two POP accounts, that were created many years ago, and they still work in Big Sur.

Regarding deleting from Server: the option is still there, see the image below. I have it "after one week", because I want the opportunity to also download some of these messages on my iPhone and iPad. But it can be set to delete immediately when retrieving, as well.

Sep 15, 2021 8:47 PM in response to AZPublishing

There have been numerous reports of POP3 bugs in Apple Mail since Big Sur. Make sure you file bug reports to Apple via the Apple Feedback Assistant: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com, posting here isn't going to help much at all. The Feedback Assistant gets your bug reports to the actual macOS developers who are the right people to fix a POP3 bug.

The Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3) was last changed in 1996, 25 years ago!. It is highly recommended to migrate from POP3 to the far superior IMAP4 which is designed for multiple computers to sync email. Most ISP's are defaulting to IMAP4 lately and POP3 is extremely old and limited.

IMAP4 was designed to sync mailboxes between multiple computers. Delete an email and it's removed from the mailbox and subsequently all the other clients see the same thing. Mark an email read and all the other devices will see the email is marked read.

POP3 is meant to have the mailbox emptied when downloading email. There have been options to keep email on the POP3 mailbox for a period of time to help facilitate sync but it's an ugly workaround compared to IMAP4. It also does not sync the read / unread status across computers nor flagging nor tagging of emails, etc.

The alternative it use another email client for your POP3 mailboxes.

Sep 16, 2021 7:38 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Depending on if that UNIX Server with the 15 POP accounts was setup properly. You might just need to obtain the IMAP4 connection information and see if you can login to one of the 15 mailboxes using IMAP. If it was setup properly, all your email should just appear via IMAP. If it wasn't setup properly, well then you are going to need some expert help to configure the UNIX Server. Most mainstream ISP's would offer POP / IMAP / Webmail and they would be encouraging people to use IMAP over POP.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.