Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

me and my husband share an apple id how can I change that without losing information on the phone I want to change the apple id

how can I get my husband off my Apple ID without him losing everything

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 2:38 PM

Well … you just need to “rip off that bandaid”

High level process: (not all “details” listed)

1) Create a new AppleID for one of you.

2) One of you completely “sign-out” your devices from the old account and “in” on the new one

3) Create a “Family” - with the original AppleID as the “organizer” - to share purchases, storage, and other services.

4) Manually transfer items to the new account by best available means. (e.g. AirDrop, iMessages, etc. )

The KEY is that the “original” account remains effectively untouched; then you’ve got all the time in the world to move/duplicate items to the “new” account.

The short-term “pain” of the spin-off will pay off w/ much improved performance and security.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2021 2:38 PM in response to meganneedshelpplease

Well … you just need to “rip off that bandaid”

High level process: (not all “details” listed)

1) Create a new AppleID for one of you.

2) One of you completely “sign-out” your devices from the old account and “in” on the new one

3) Create a “Family” - with the original AppleID as the “organizer” - to share purchases, storage, and other services.

4) Manually transfer items to the new account by best available means. (e.g. AirDrop, iMessages, etc. )

The KEY is that the “original” account remains effectively untouched; then you’ve got all the time in the world to move/duplicate items to the “new” account.

The short-term “pain” of the spin-off will pay off w/ much improved performance and security.

me and my husband share an apple id how can I change that without losing information on the phone I want to change the apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.