Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will installing Big Sur over Mohave slow my Mac

Will installing Big Sur over Mohave slow my MAC?

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 6:05 PM

I suggest you try the following and find out yourself:

1. Make a bootable clone copy of your current macOS Mojave system drive onto an external USB drive. I suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner for this purpose.
  2. Verify that you can boot up from this drive.
  3. Once verified, go through the installation process to install macOS Big Sur onto the internal drive.
  4. Try it out to see if you notice any performance issues. If not, you're done.
  5. If you are not satisfied, restore the clone from the external drive back to the internal one.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2021 6:05 PM in response to jackwatson16

I suggest you try the following and find out yourself:

1. Make a bootable clone copy of your current macOS Mojave system drive onto an external USB drive. I suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner for this purpose.
  2. Verify that you can boot up from this drive.
  3. Once verified, go through the installation process to install macOS Big Sur onto the internal drive.
  4. Try it out to see if you notice any performance issues. If not, you're done.
  5. If you are not satisfied, restore the clone from the external drive back to the internal one.

will installing Big Sur over Mohave slow my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.