Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you set up family subscription sharing on the Apple TV (and don't own another Apple device)?

How do you set up subscription sharing (family sharing) without owning another Apple device? I bought an Apple TV and am paying for the apple+ subscription so would like to share with family members my subscription as the subscription entitles me to (up to 6 members). I don't own any other Apple devices. Surely there's a way through the Apple TV? If not, there should be because it's very limiting (and very frustrating).

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 6:58 PM

Can you provide instructions on how to do this please so I can provide to the family member who owns an apple device.

Like the support document says:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

↳ Invite people to join the family

All the group members must each have a (complete and confirmed) Apple ID account, which defines the group. For those that don’t have such an account, one can be created.

↳ On the organizer’s iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: see document

↳ Or: on the organizer’s Mac (macOS Catalina 10.15 or later, macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier): see document

Once the invites have been accepted, the group setup is complete.

If you’re close by, then group members may join directly on the organizer’s device, instead of by message, if the organizer finds that easier: discussions.apple.com/thread/252739525.

All the group members should have device on which to watch Apple TV+. All the ways to watch Apple TV+ - Apple Support

(keeping in mind it is my subscription, not theirs). I imagine the steps are slightly different than if it's your own subscription you are setting up family sharing on (which Apple provide instructions on).

It makes no difference. Once the group is set up, any sharable subscription from any of the group members is automatically shared. You don’t have to (and can’t) specify to share Apple TV+. Each of the group members can access Apple TV+ subscription content as if they were subscribed themselves, each on their own account, even though only one of them has the subscription.

The optional sharing features are organizer’s choice, and may not be useful in your specific group (and can all be Off to just share Apple TV+).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2021 6:58 PM in response to rscottnz

Can you provide instructions on how to do this please so I can provide to the family member who owns an apple device.

Like the support document says:

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

↳ Invite people to join the family

All the group members must each have a (complete and confirmed) Apple ID account, which defines the group. For those that don’t have such an account, one can be created.

↳ On the organizer’s iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: see document

↳ Or: on the organizer’s Mac (macOS Catalina 10.15 or later, macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier): see document

Once the invites have been accepted, the group setup is complete.

If you’re close by, then group members may join directly on the organizer’s device, instead of by message, if the organizer finds that easier: discussions.apple.com/thread/252739525.

All the group members should have device on which to watch Apple TV+. All the ways to watch Apple TV+ - Apple Support

(keeping in mind it is my subscription, not theirs). I imagine the steps are slightly different than if it's your own subscription you are setting up family sharing on (which Apple provide instructions on).

It makes no difference. Once the group is set up, any sharable subscription from any of the group members is automatically shared. You don’t have to (and can’t) specify to share Apple TV+. Each of the group members can access Apple TV+ subscription content as if they were subscribed themselves, each on their own account, even though only one of them has the subscription.

The optional sharing features are organizer’s choice, and may not be useful in your specific group (and can all be Off to just share Apple TV+).

Sep 15, 2021 8:37 AM in response to rscottnz

You can’t, not under those conditions. Someone in the group has to take on the role of organizer, and set it up on a Mac, iPhone, or iPad. Maybe someone else in your family has one of these devices, and is willing to be the organizer? The organizer doesn’t have to be the same person as the group member with the shareable subscription.

Sep 15, 2021 5:17 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you for confirming that, and offering a work around. Can you provide instructions on how to do this please so I can provide to the family member who owns an apple device (keeping in mind it is my subscription, not theirs). I imagine the steps are slightly different than if it's your own subscription you are setting up family sharing on (which Apple provide instructions on). Thank you

How do you set up family subscription sharing on the Apple TV (and don't own another Apple device)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.