Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.8 is not available for my iPAD mini 2. Why?

iOS 14.8 is not available for my iPad mini 2. Why?

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 7:05 AM

The first generation iPad Air, iPad mini2 and mini3 can only be updated to iOS 12.5.4. With this version installed, you will have one of these three models.

Apple ended major update support for these models of iPad in September 2019 - although they since continue to receive “point” security updates - the most recent being released just a few weeks ago. These devices cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements (CPU and RAM) for newer versions of iOS/iPadOS.

The iOS/iPadOS 14.8 release addresses a specific security vulnerability that is not exposed in iOS 12.x.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity.

Given that your device is within its twilight period of update support, you might be well advised to consider replacement with a more recent device - in so doing benefiting from both enhanced functionality and full update support.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2021 7:05 AM in response to F14DEA6B

The first generation iPad Air, iPad mini2 and mini3 can only be updated to iOS 12.5.4. With this version installed, you will have one of these three models.

Apple ended major update support for these models of iPad in September 2019 - although they since continue to receive “point” security updates - the most recent being released just a few weeks ago. These devices cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements (CPU and RAM) for newer versions of iOS/iPadOS.

The iOS/iPadOS 14.8 release addresses a specific security vulnerability that is not exposed in iOS 12.x.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity.

Given that your device is within its twilight period of update support, you might be well advised to consider replacement with a more recent device - in so doing benefiting from both enhanced functionality and full update support.

iOS 14.8 is not available for my iPAD mini 2. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.