Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur 11.6 Post Upgrade Keeps Logging Me Out

I've had two MacBooks with this issue in my organization.

Right after an image via Zero-Touch/DEP to Big Sur 11.5.2, I updated to 11.6 per the security vulnerability recommendations.

But now, right after I sign in with my username and password, I will see the desktop for maybe all of a few seconds before the screen blinks and I'm back at the login screen. This process repeats even after a reboot.

The only work around for this is to sign in with Safe Mode.

First Aid hasn't helps and neither did clearing NVRAM.

Our team has been troubleshooting a 16 inch, late 2019 model MacBook Pro. SN: C02FT4L4MD6R

We've tried several other usernames including a local admin account but we still get the same problem.

We've tried going into safe mode and opening terminal. Run sudo authchanger -reset to reload the default system.login.console mechanisms into the AuthorizationDB.

We've also tried the following:

/sbin/mount -uw /

Press Enter on your keyboard. Then enter in the following:

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

After trying that, It didn’t ask me to make a new account but when I signed in as user it redid some of the first time setup but then went back to the login issue

We've also tried login to safe mode and create a new user with admin rights (name it anything and give it a password) then reboot and try logging into that one

We're running out of ideas and Google hasn't been helping much. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 1:31 PM

Boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility and run First Aid on all of the volumes available. If you get any error messages repeat First Aid until there's no error message. Reboot normally.

If that doesn't fix the problem, boot again into Recovery volume and reinstall the system.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2021 1:31 PM in response to EyeZack_Crusades

Boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility and run First Aid on all of the volumes available. If you get any error messages repeat First Aid until there's no error message. Reboot normally.

If that doesn't fix the problem, boot again into Recovery volume and reinstall the system.

MacOS Big Sur 11.6 Post Upgrade Keeps Logging Me Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.