Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i open an xlsb file

I have been sent an xlsb file but am unable to open it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 4:46 AM

This is an ancient Microsoft Excel Binary file format discussed in more detail here. This format was released back in 2006/2007 timeframe as an alternative format to the emerging XLSX standard with Office 2007.

If you do not have a new (16.52) version of MS Excel, then download the free LibreOffice 7.2+ as it supports the Microsoft Excel XLSB document format. Once opened in LibreOffice Calc, you can resave it as a current Excel XLSX document an be done with archaic formats. I very much doubt that Apple's Numbers 11.1 spreadsheet can open the XLXB format.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2021 4:46 AM in response to Paulalou31

This is an ancient Microsoft Excel Binary file format discussed in more detail here. This format was released back in 2006/2007 timeframe as an alternative format to the emerging XLSX standard with Office 2007.

If you do not have a new (16.52) version of MS Excel, then download the free LibreOffice 7.2+ as it supports the Microsoft Excel XLSB document format. Once opened in LibreOffice Calc, you can resave it as a current Excel XLSX document an be done with archaic formats. I very much doubt that Apple's Numbers 11.1 spreadsheet can open the XLXB format.

how do i open an xlsb file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.