Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Air M1 CPU gets hot quickly when Performance Cores kicks in, then throttles down after less than a minute

My MacBook Air M1 16GB normally stays at 35-43ºC at room temperatures of about 28ºC.

When I start some video processing tasks (video reformat using HandBrake), performance cores kicks in to full speed, then, after about a minute or less, when temperature gets to about 95ºC, 4 performance cores slows down to about half capacity and they does not get fully activate unless system cools down to ambient temperature again (by putting device to sleep). Note: the whole body of the MacBook Air feels hot, according to read temperatures.

I know that throttling down performance cores is expected on this fanless device. My question is: having full CPU capacity for less than a minute, is an expected performance, or could it have some deficiency on their heat sink system that could generate this -poor- behavior?

Honestly, I was expecting to reach full capacity for more than 5 or 10 minutes before seeing that heat is a problem, based on several device reviews I have seen online, pushing the apple silicon to its limits. Thanks for any opinion or guidance.

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 5:21 PM

I think it is well expected regarding thermal throttle with heavy CPU.

M1 MBA CPU design does not have direct contact to the backplate -- therefore, MBP's fan would provide better performance in terms of thermal issues.. I would say part of Handbrake's design (heavy CPU load) and have wondered if Handbrake has been working on the optimization with M1 chip. My experience with Handbrake (cross all platforms - such as Microsoft OS, Linus and Mac) - all the mid-range CPUs would crank up the temperature almost immediately, and of course, cooling fan as well.

M1 MBA, in my own use, will definitely suffer thermal throttle -- and that can be a safe guard by Mac's design to protect the system's hardware integrity.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2021 5:21 PM in response to Chiodi

I think it is well expected regarding thermal throttle with heavy CPU.

M1 MBA CPU design does not have direct contact to the backplate -- therefore, MBP's fan would provide better performance in terms of thermal issues.. I would say part of Handbrake's design (heavy CPU load) and have wondered if Handbrake has been working on the optimization with M1 chip. My experience with Handbrake (cross all platforms - such as Microsoft OS, Linus and Mac) - all the mid-range CPUs would crank up the temperature almost immediately, and of course, cooling fan as well.

M1 MBA, in my own use, will definitely suffer thermal throttle -- and that can be a safe guard by Mac's design to protect the system's hardware integrity.

My MacBook Air M1 CPU gets hot quickly when Performance Cores kicks in, then throttles down after less than a minute

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.