Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Steps In Replacing the Apple Blade SSD in a Fusion Drive?

Hi Apple friends. The SSD still fused with the 2TB Fusion Drive in the Late 2015 5K iMac seems to have failed and can no longer be detected by Disk Utility (w/ View All Devices) and Terminal (Diskutil List). What are the proper steps to take to replace the Apple Blade SSD part of this Fusion Drive? I understand just replacing the SSD won't make the Mac see it as a Fusion Drive as the hardisk is still tied or fused with the old Apple Blade SSD?

Thank you in advance. All data have been backed up a week before the Fusion's SSD failed (or appears to have failed).

God bless, Revelation 21:4

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 5:17 PM

Hello, Alvin777.

You are best advised to carry your iMac to an Apple Authorized Service Provider and see if they will do the replacement for you. The iMac is not user serviceable and to open the case requires a certain skill set due to the risk of additional damage.

Apple – Find Locations:

https://locate.apple.com/pr/en/

It's a good thing you have a backup. So many people neglect this and pay the price.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2021 5:17 PM in response to Alvin777

Hello, Alvin777.

You are best advised to carry your iMac to an Apple Authorized Service Provider and see if they will do the replacement for you. The iMac is not user serviceable and to open the case requires a certain skill set due to the risk of additional damage.

Apple – Find Locations:

https://locate.apple.com/pr/en/

It's a good thing you have a backup. So many people neglect this and pay the price.

Sep 18, 2021 5:46 PM in response to Alvin777

It seems to be just a software issue,

Did you see this Apple support article?

How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

In 2015, the Apple incarnation of a hybrid drive is a very conventional mech hard drive linked by software to a small SSD in a socket on the logic board. It the steps in that article can fix the issue, it will same you time money and a lug-fest into the Apple store!

Sep 18, 2021 5:39 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Hi, thanks for the concern and reply. It seems to be just a software issue, possibly macOS can't read some directories, that a Windows app, may have moved in a different algorithm.

I fresh installed macOS Big Sur then fresh installed Boot Camp but I was only able to install it on the hardisk. I can't fuse the Fusion again because macOS can't detect the SSD. But if I boot to Boot Camp, Windows is saying there is a mysterious Disk 1 that needs to be initialized. Perhaps if I initialized Disk 1 and it's the Apple SSD that macOS can't detect, if I boot to macOS, it will finally see the Apple SSD but split which is fine by me, I don't think I want Fusion Drive anymore in the future, it's too much trouble when one breaks. But do advise on what should I do. Thank you. Here is how Windows is detecting that mysterious Disk 1:

Pray, fast and hope, my theory is correct, else I guess it's a nice trip to the neared Apple Repair Center which is thankfully in a mall (w/ a lot parking) but I wish it was on the ground floor by the side of the mall, so one doesn't need to haul it up the escalator (social distancing vs. elevator).

Have a great weekend and a blessed sunday.

God bless, Revelation 21:4

Sep 18, 2021 5:51 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thank, let's all pray, fast and hope, that'll be one of the solutions.

I wish the box of this iMac had wheels (it's still pretty heavy but the Late 2009 was heavier). I hope the anticipated larger iMacs and Mac Pro will be as like as the current Silicon iMacs, else they'd need a box with small wheels :-) unless they require all Authorized Resellers to only put their stores on the ground floor on the side of the mall (perfect location, like most pet stores and repair centers- you can just reverse park facing the shop for easy unloading, unless it's raining heavily in which case a basement store would be the best location :-).

Steps In Replacing the Apple Blade SSD in a Fusion Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.