Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to cancel a subscription and change payment method

How can I cancel my iCloud subscription when I can’t get iCloud to do this? I want to delete my debit card payment option (security issue). However, I can’t delete payment method because of outstanding iCloud subscription

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 11:14 AM

You have a debit card.

You wish to no longer use the debit card.

You wish to remove the debit card from your Apple ID.

Do you wish to discontinue all payments and discontinue all subscriptions?

Or are you looking at discontinuing subscriptions only because you are trying to remove the debit card, and got that error?

If you wish to (also) discontinue iCloud, here is how: Downgrade or cancel your iCloud storage plan - Apple Support

If you solely wish to change payment methods, add the new payment method first, and only then remove the debit card. This payment-swapping approach will avoid having to cancel all existing subscriptions, if you wish to preserve those subscriptions.

Alternatively, use the Get Support link in the upper right of this webpage, and work with Apple to make the required changes.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2021 11:14 AM in response to micki132

You have a debit card.

You wish to no longer use the debit card.

You wish to remove the debit card from your Apple ID.

Do you wish to discontinue all payments and discontinue all subscriptions?

Or are you looking at discontinuing subscriptions only because you are trying to remove the debit card, and got that error?

If you wish to (also) discontinue iCloud, here is how: Downgrade or cancel your iCloud storage plan - Apple Support

If you solely wish to change payment methods, add the new payment method first, and only then remove the debit card. This payment-swapping approach will avoid having to cancel all existing subscriptions, if you wish to preserve those subscriptions.

Alternatively, use the Get Support link in the upper right of this webpage, and work with Apple to make the required changes.

Sep 18, 2021 10:34 AM in response to micki132

I'm not sure if the goal is to cancel iCloud, or cancel iCloud and remove all payment methods, or to switch payment methods.

To cancel a subscription: How to cancel a subscription from Apple - Apple Support

To switch a payment method (and preserving subscriptions), I'd suggest adding the new method first and then removing the old.

To cancel both iCloud subscriptions and your last or only payment method, cancel all subscriptions first, then remove the last payment method.

Some related details directly from Apple:

Change, add, or remove Apple ID payment methods - Apple Support

If you can't remove your last payment method or use no payment method with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Unable to cancel a subscription and change payment method

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.