Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my GPU have more RAM than system RAM?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 4:35 AM

That all depends on what computer you have.

If the Mac you have uses an Intel Integrated Graphics chip or is an M1 Mac, GPU and CPU both use the same system RAM.

Generally on laptops with discrete GPU, system RAM will be more than VRAM for the GPU.

On desktops, with some of the very high powered graphics cards that are available, you could conceivably have more VRAM on the GPU than you have system RAM.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2021 4:35 AM in response to MacBookAirRetina

That all depends on what computer you have.

If the Mac you have uses an Intel Integrated Graphics chip or is an M1 Mac, GPU and CPU both use the same system RAM.

Generally on laptops with discrete GPU, system RAM will be more than VRAM for the GPU.

On desktops, with some of the very high powered graphics cards that are available, you could conceivably have more VRAM on the GPU than you have system RAM.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.