Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fast charging

Is fast charging (20w) on daily basis impacts battery life? I bought my iphone in December 2020 and now battery capacity reached to 94%. I read it somewhere that battery needs to be changed if it reaches to 80% capacity.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 11:56 PM

You can damage the battery if it goes to "zero" and stays there for days. This is because at gauge zero it still had enough power to start up charging, but after some days it can go to actual zero and you will be in trouble.

Anything else is myth. There is no point in worrying about battery "health" (which is just capacity relative to new capacity) if you only use 60% of it between 20 and 80.

The phone itself will not be damaged by charging practices.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2021 11:56 PM in response to dhavaldga

You can damage the battery if it goes to "zero" and stays there for days. This is because at gauge zero it still had enough power to start up charging, but after some days it can go to actual zero and you will be in trouble.

Anything else is myth. There is no point in worrying about battery "health" (which is just capacity relative to new capacity) if you only use 60% of it between 20 and 80.

The phone itself will not be damaged by charging practices.

Sep 19, 2021 3:40 AM in response to dhavaldga

Yes have Apple fit a new battery at 80% ($69) though even then you will probably not notice any performance problems.

94% at 10 months is actually very good.

Fast Charging does not hurt the phone at all, the phone controls the charge current as it needs it. Best practice is charge every night all night so that Optimised Charging kicks in as in the graph below...

Sep 19, 2021 10:43 PM in response to dhavaldga

As I said "Best practice is charge every night all night so that Optimised Charging kicks in as in the graph below..."

As you see in the graph it will hold steady at 80% then finish to 100%

You can run it below 20% but don't let it run flat. There will be reminders at 20% and 10% to turn on Low Power Mode.

Fast charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.