Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Weekly Backups Missing

I notice that Time Machine has backups for sixty days only. How do I access older changes? Plus, all the weekly backups are missing when I click on Time Machine in the Dock. Where are these files? Is there a connection?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 8:39 AM

I suspect that you are out of space. I'm not sure how much space on the disk Time Machine needs just to function, and 100 GB might be the minimum given your disk size -- I have a 8TB external drive with 400 GB free and get a messages constantly that there is not enough space. Same experience, I now only see 1 backup (not weeks, months, etc.) as my disk is full and the content I'm backup up is quite large. So, I still think it's working properly. You could get a larger drive and backup or wipe your current backup disk and start over and see what happens if it is a concern.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2021 8:39 AM in response to Bill Roberts

I suspect that you are out of space. I'm not sure how much space on the disk Time Machine needs just to function, and 100 GB might be the minimum given your disk size -- I have a 8TB external drive with 400 GB free and get a messages constantly that there is not enough space. Same experience, I now only see 1 backup (not weeks, months, etc.) as my disk is full and the content I'm backup up is quite large. So, I still think it's working properly. You could get a larger drive and backup or wipe your current backup disk and start over and see what happens if it is a concern.

Sep 19, 2021 7:40 PM in response to Bill Roberts

From Apple: Time Machine automatically makes hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for all previous months. The oldest backups are deleted when your backup disk is full.

You would have older backups only if there is space available. You can "see" all of your backups by navigating in your backup disk.

Time Machine Weekly Backups Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.