Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My wi fi says not secure go to wma3

My home wi go says not secure

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 10:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 10:40 PM

WEP, WPA, and WPA2 TKIP are considered insecure. WPA2 AES, WPA2/WPA3 Transitional, and WPA3 are considered secure.

You can choose to reconfigure your Wi-Fi router for better security, or can ignore the message as nothing has changed. Other than that you now know the Wi-Fi router configuration is insecure, that is. It worked before, it works today.

Here is what Apple states: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

How you might reconfigure your router depends on the particular Wi-Fi router vendor and router model in use. Locate that, and look for documentation for the device.

If you do update the router security, also check for a vendor firmware update, and apply the latest available firmware.

Most Wi-Fi routers in current use can manage WPA2 AES, which Apple considers minimally secure.

Previous reply might be misleading about WPA2, unfortunately. Per Apple, WPA2 TKIP is insecure, and WPA2 AES is not.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2021 10:40 PM in response to LGKS6988–

WEP, WPA, and WPA2 TKIP are considered insecure. WPA2 AES, WPA2/WPA3 Transitional, and WPA3 are considered secure.

You can choose to reconfigure your Wi-Fi router for better security, or can ignore the message as nothing has changed. Other than that you now know the Wi-Fi router configuration is insecure, that is. It worked before, it works today.

Here is what Apple states: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

How you might reconfigure your router depends on the particular Wi-Fi router vendor and router model in use. Locate that, and look for documentation for the device.

If you do update the router security, also check for a vendor firmware update, and apply the latest available firmware.

Most Wi-Fi routers in current use can manage WPA2 AES, which Apple considers minimally secure.

Previous reply might be misleading about WPA2, unfortunately. Per Apple, WPA2 TKIP is insecure, and WPA2 AES is not.

Sep 19, 2021 10:31 PM in response to LGKS6988–

LGKS6988– Said:

"My wi fi says not secure go to wma3: My home wi go says not secure"

-------

Why the Error:

Encryption is the Culprit:

Likely because your router is using WPA2 for the router's encryption protocol, which is no longer secure. So, either reconfigure your router's settings to be using WPA3, or upgrade to a new router that supports WPA3. Older devices may not support WPA3. So, it would have to have WPA2/WPA3 open for use. Without getting too technical here, look at the user guide of your router, for more on configuring this.

My wi fi says not secure go to wma3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.